Chapter Ten ~ ANNABETH

• Chapter Ten •

• ANNABETH •

The worst thing to do in a bad or an impossible situation was panic. Annabeth knew that better than most as a daughter of Athena. She could feel herself slipping into shock.

"No," she told herself through chattering teeth. She would not allow herself to become some trembling bimbo with Percy in her arms.

She lay him on the surface of the water, one arm underneath him to make sure he didn't sink. Percy must've had a tiny bit of control over the lake because it held his feet up and kept his back straight. With her other arm, she pressed her elbow over Percy's heart and started pumping. It wasn't as effective or as useful as two hands, but it would have to do. Improvisation was something Annabeth could do well, if she put her mind to it.

Light began to fill the cavern. Annabeth could make out the rest of the space now, and she could see herself clearly in the water. A clean, blonde girl stared back, but her eyes were tired and fearful. She was terrified that she couldn't revive Percy.

No. Fear was not an option. She knew that. She just had to accept it.

Her elbow dug down with each pump. Annabeth was scared of hurting Percy, but he couldn't feel it. He was still as limp and lifeless as he had been before.

"Come on," she muttered. "Come on!"

Give up hope, child of Athena. Let the boy die. Let him -

"Shut up, Gaia!" Annabeth cried furiously. A little part of her wondered if Gaia would kill her there and then, but she pushed that thought back. Thinking like that was only going to distract her, and give her zero chance of saving her boyfriend. 

You know nothing, child. Percy Jackson is a son of Poseidon. He can control water. But this water he could not control. If he can't beat it, then how do you think you can? Wisdom will not help you here. Logic is your enemy.

Annabeth stopped. She looked down at Percy. She was trying to pump it out of him. But what if she forced it out?

She raised her arm, clenched her fist and whacked Percy's chest as hard as she could.

Percy spluttered. Water poured from his mouth like one of those stone cherubs you might see on a fountain. He thrashed about, but Annabeth held tightly onto him.

"It's okay," she said. "Percy, it's okay. We're together."

She knew that after everything they'd been through, that was what he needed to hear. It was what she needed to hear. Never say you're okay or we're alive. We're together was what they both needed more than anything.

Percy's eyes flew open. His green eyes that shone like the sea gazed up at Annabeth. He tried to talk, but sick dribbled down his chin.

"Easy, Seaweed Brain," she said softly. She washed away the vomit with water, then helped him float beside her so that she could hug him.

He resisted though. "Annabeth, I..."

"Are you alright?"

He nodded, smiling at her. "I'm a bit embarrassed, but alright."

Annabeth laughed. "You should be embarrassed. You dribble in your sleep."

It was a running joke they had, dating back to when they were twelve. Percy quickly splashed some water over his face and hair, thoroughly cleaning it, washing the taste of sick out of his mouth. Then he grinned sheepishly at Annabeth. She smiled back at him.