Chapter Twelve ~ PERCY

• Chapter Twelve • 

• PERCY •

The walls of the tunnel seemed to be closing in. At least, that's what it felt like to Percy. He knew he couldn't save Annabeth. She had to be dead. There was no way she could survive two such serious drops directly on her head.

A mixture of sadness and fear and desperation and anger propelled Percy forwards. He lunged for Annabeth's knife, gripping the hilt with sweaty hands. He was scared. But he wanted to do it for Annabeth.

Thorn hissed, shooting poisoned spikes from his fingertips. Percy dodged and bought the knife up, the tip balancing on Thorn's chest.

"Give me Riptide," he said. "Give. Me. Riptide!"

Quickly, Thorn took a black ballpoint pen from his pocket and threw it at Percy.

"Take it," the manticore snarled.

Percy grabbed it - and that was his mistake. He tried to uncap it, but to his surprise nothing happened. It was a normal pen. He'd been tricked.

Fury coursed through Percy. He reached for the knife that he had dropped, but Thorn got to it first.

"Never try to double-cross a manticore," Thorn hissed. He raised the knife.

Suddenly, Thorn disintegrated into a gold explosion. A gold sword was left in his place.

"Riptide!" Percy cried. He picked up his sword and examined it. It looked good as new, polished until it gleamed. Although it looked better, it didn't feel right in his hand.

"Nice to see you care more about that sword than my help," a cutting voice said.

Percy looked up. Standing in front of him stood a girl, with dirt-blonde curls plaited to the side with a green lotus flower braided in above her right ear. She wore a lace top that started off blue then got greener as it went down to the arms and waist. She wore black jeans that showed off her thin legs, with black laced-up biker boots with small heels.

"Annabeth?"

She looked gorgeous. Even more gorgeous than Aphrodite, though Percy wouldn't dare say that because even though he was trapped, gods could still do what they wanted to you.

She even wore makeup - pale sparkly blue eyeshadow and peach lipstick and a little mascara, with glittery black eyeliner. Her beautiful lips were pulled into an angry pout though.

"So whilst I lay almost dead, you were too busy trying to regain your sword?" Annabeth growled.

Percy opened his mouth. "Um... no. Not exactly."

Annabeth scowled. "What are you staring at?"

"You!"

As if only just realising, Annabeth gasped. She looked down at herself, her hands flying to her mouth. Percy noticed her fingernails were painted to match what she was wearing on her upper half - the top dark blue, then becoming a beautiful sea-colour, and then green towards the bottom.

"What... I..." She could barely talk.

"You look stunning," Percy said.

Annabeth blushed. "Yeah, well. Guess I'm not as glowing as your precious sword."

"Annabeth, it wasn't like that! I needed my sword to kill Thorn. If I didn't, he'd just kill you. But I thought you were dead." Percy felt sick, remembering the bloodied cut. Now her skin was flawlessly clear.

Annabeth grimaced, and Percy wanted to wrap his arms around her.

"You were dead, weren't you?" Percy asked softly.