Chapter Nineteen ~ ANNABETH

• Chapter Nineteen • 

• ANNABETH •

"Are you sure about this?" Mika asked. "It seems awfully dangerous."

"I have to." Annabeth pulled her blonde curls back into a ponytail. "If I don't, then the weaponry will keep going through to the Doors. Hundreds of mortals are in danger. I just have to try."

Mika had used her magic to present new clothes - a silk black blouse, black skinny jeans, black converse and a black velvet headband. The velvet headband felt soft in her fingers as she tightened it around her hair - which was now clean and smelt of cinnamon, thanks to Mika's power.

"Anything else?" Annabeth said, raising an eyebrow at Mika.

Mika frowned. "Yeah. Makeup."

She clicked her fingers. Powder flew into Annabeth's face. Suddenly a mirror floated in front of her. She gazed into it. Smoky black eyeshadow stroked her eyelids, ringed by black eyeliner and thick mascara, making her misty grey eyes look huge and angry. Her lips were applied with a pearly gloss. Bronze blusher was circled over her cheeks. She looked beautiful.

"Thanks." The mirror disappeared.

"Clip board," Mika said, presenting Annabeth with one. "Pen."

Annabeth tucked it behind her ear. "Hair?"

Mika frowned. "Too messy." She snapped her fingers again, and Annabeth felt her hair being tugged into a soft shiny bun.

"Better," Mika commented. "Still. Something's not right. How do you feel about high heels?"

Annabeth thought back to four years ago, when she'd tried on Silena Beauregard's new heels for a laugh. She'd had blisters for a week. "Um..."

"It will make you look more businesslike. I promise!"

Nodding, Annabeth watched as the comfortable converse were switched with two-inch black peep-toe heels. She wobbled automatically, then realised they were actually quite simple to walk in.

"Thanks," she said again.

"Just remember the plan. Tell the guards you're from Elf and Eighty. It's the monster version of health and safety - just show them that clipboard, I added a little logo for the company. Tell them you're doing a monthly check-up of the delivery carts."

Mika held out her hand to reveal a small pot of glittery gold capsules. "Drop one of these in each cart. There are only a hundred, so you won't take out every cart. Still, these might have a big enough impact to blow up some other carts within a small radius. You with me so far?"

Annabeth nodded. She'd come up with the plan, but Mika was supplying her with information to full-proof it.

"When you've planted a capsule, automatically move onto another cart. The carts will be lined up in some cavern - ask one of the guards to take you. The capsules are primed to explode within three minutes. You have to hurry."

"Understood." Annabeth grinned slightly. "I... I guess this is goodbye, now."

Mika smiled. "Nah. I'll see you again."

Quickly, Annabeth pulled Mika into a hug. It was so out of character for Annabeth that she was seriously shocked. The only person she really wanted to hug was Percy.

"You better," she whispered.

They pulled away.

"Good luck," Mika said. "Now go."

Annabeth hesitated. "I -"

"Annabeth, go!"

Something cranked ahead of them. Wheels rattled along tracks. Annabeth really had to go.