Chapter Fourteen ~ ANNABETH

• Chapter Fourteen • 

• ANNABETH •

"This can't be happening," Annabeth muttered. "It can't be!"

She half-wanted Gaia to say something. But nothing came.

Just a little message in her head: four days.

Annabeth was certain that meant that they only had four days left to find the Doors and close them.

"Percy!" she called. "Come on, Percy!"

She started walking down the tunnel. After what felt like hours but was probably only a few minutes, she stopped and looked round.

Everything was frustratingly the same. There was nothing new, no signs to show where Percy was. Just emptiness.

Four days.

Two days had passed during Annabeth's sleep. She thought back to the prophecy:

A son of Poseidon and his girl  

Shall watch the end of the world 

From the pits of death they will find  

The doors that leave hell behind 

But daughter of Athena will not survive 

To see her friends well and alive

Annabeth mulled over the last two lines. Her death was imminent, unavoidable, fate. But Percy's wasn't. The prophecy didn't mention him.

She knew prophecies could have double meanings. The Great Prophecy about Percy had said the hero's soul would be reaped, but in the end Percy wasn't the hero. Luke was.

She hated Luke. He left her to join Kronos' evil army, and then he died using Annabeth's knife. He had told her he loved her. Once, she had thought she loved him. But now she only saw him as a brother - a brother who had betrayed her, and left her.

Percy had rescued her. He'd come along, a twelve-year-old cowardly idiot. Then he'd matured over the years - saving Annabeth from Sirens when they were thirteen, saving Annabeth from being killed by Atlas when they were fourteen, fighting with Annabeth against monsters in the battle of Daedalus's labyrinth when they were fifteen, and falling in love with her during the Titan war on his sixteenth birthday.

He was so, so special to her. And she'd repaid him by letting Gaia take him.

Annabeth hated not knowing. She thought of her friends back at home to calm herself down.

Thalia Grace - her brilliant friend who'd helped her when they were younger. Thalia was a daughter of Zeus and a feisty, easily angered teenage girl. Annabeth missed her dearly now that Thalia was a Hunter of Artemis. She wondered if Thalia knew Annabeth was missing. She hoped not. How could she worry Thalia like that?

Then there was Grover - the sweet, hapless satyr who had led Annabeth, Thalia and Luke to Camp Half-Blood almost ten years ago. He would be with his girlfriend Juniper, searching for new demigods.

Annabeth's sibling, Malcolm. He'd been her second in command, and was positioned to lead the Athena cabin if Annabeth ever went missing or died. She prayed that Malcolm was coping alright.

Clarisse La Rue - not exactly Annabeth's friend, more of an acquaintance, yet Annabeth missed her. She would rather Clarisse flush her head down the loo a thousand times if it meant Percy and Annabeth were safe.

Then there were Annabeth's new friends - Jason Grace (Thalia's long-lost Roman brother), Piper McLean (kind and sweet Aphrodite girl), Leo Valdez (crazy impish Hephaestus troublemaker). As well as Frank Zhang and Hazel Levesque, who came from the Roman camp - long story.