Chapter Twenty-Six ~ ANNABETH

• Chapter Twenty-Six • 

• ANNABETH •

I'm falling. Falling so hard. I'm crashing. Alone.

"Percy!" I call out. "Percy, where are you?"

"I'm here!"

Two strong, warm arms wrap around my stomach. They squeeze me hard, protecting me from the danger. Darkness surrounds me. I'm slipping out of Percy's arms.

"No!" I cry. "Percy!"

"I'm still here, Annabeth. Calm down."

I take a deep breath and lean back into Percy. We are slowing now, almost hitting the ground.

I realise I am under Percy. I will receive the impact first. And probably die.

"Annabeth!" It sounds like Percy has just realised that, too.

Suddenly I am flipped round and on top of Percy. He is beneath me, bracing for the fall.

"Percy!" I yell over the thrum of blood pulsing in my ears. "Move!"

"I have to do this."

"Don't!"

"I love you."

I wish I had time to say the words back, but I don't. We've landed. If that's the right word, of course. More we have flopped. Percy is limp under my body.

Every muscle in me aches. How must Percy be feeling?

"Percy," I whisper, my lips on his ear. "Percy. I love you."

Wake up. Wake. Up. Please!

He stirs. I crawl off his back, my legs stiff. He's face-down.

Carefully, I roll him over. He's covered in bruises and his beautiful face is bloodied. I caress his cheek.

"I never tell you enough," I say softly. "But I love you."

I grab his hand and feel for a pulse. It's there, just dimly. But he's alive, and that's all that matters.

I look around. It is pitch black, except for a small amount of light just around us.

Welcome to Tartarus, Annabeth Chase. I do so hope you'll enjoy your stay.

"This isn't over, Gaia!" I shout. "You won't win!"

I think I will. And don't forget, Miss Annabeth Chase. As clever as you might think you are, even the most intelligent people are the ones who fall the hardest.

"Just give up, Gaia."

Touching a nerve, am I? Pride is your fatal flaw, I'm told. Someone you trust is my spy. Much worse than the likes of Silena Beauregard. Someone you've always known, always trusted, from the bottom of your heart, despite not liking them very much. They're my spy. And if you do escape these pits alive, you'll be pleased to know that the spy will be there to confront you. And all hell will break loose.

"You're lying!"

Really? I never did have time for lies. Too busy constructing the downfall of Olympus.

"Why... why are you telling me all of this?"

Because I can.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Oh, many things. Now. Time to enjoy the darkness.

"What?"

You think this light of yours is supposed to be here? I just needed you to check the boy was alive.

The lights go out. I clutch at Percy, silent tears streaming down my cheeks.

See you soon. And don't dwell on the traitor. Hatred is ever such an evil thing. I would know. Sleep tight. For the journey ahead is long.

********

So this is a short little piece from when Percy and Annabeth first fell into Tartarus. It also shines a light on the secret Annabeth has been hiding, because she never told Percy there was a spy.

It also lets you all know exactly what happened on that first night in Tartarus. I think it's a good chapter, even if it's short. Because it begins to show the kind of hell that's been endured.

Hope you all like it, and Chapter 27 will hopefully be up today or tomorrow!

Oh and thanks to everyone who stopped to wish me luck. That was really nice. It went really well, the last performance. Defo the best!

BTW SO CLOSE TO 10,000 READS! xxx

Don't yeah PJO or HOO! Not old or cool enough!

Love you all!

~ Lauren Susan xx