Chapter Twenty-One ~ PERCY

• Dedicated to Annabeth Chase, Daughter of Athena

• Chapter Twenty-One • 

• PERCY •

"Grab weapons," Percy commanded. "Elisya, Mikey, you'll have to use something... well, something lethal that ghosts can use."

"Who are we fighting?" Elisya asked. She sounded confident. After all, war was in her blood. "And we can use regular weapons, dead or alive, by the way."

"Sorry," Percy said quickly. "There's legions of armies at the Doors. If all these demigods have heard the alarms and gone to the General Assembly like they should've, then we've got the place to ourselves. Perfect for a battle."

"Battle?" Mikey repeated. "But Percy - it's us three against thousands of monsters. Legions of armies, you said. That's like taking a hundred-strong bunch of monsters and multiplying it by a thousand. We don't stand a chance!"

"A child of Ares never trembles under the odds," Elisya insisted. "You're one of the bravest people I've ever met, Mikey. I don't care if you'll never see my face. You're not a child of Ares, you're not physically able of everything but to me you are pure perfection. I've loved you for ages, Michael Yew, yet you've been too blind to see it!" She blushed vigorously. "Sorry! Really bad choice of words!"

Mikey paled. "Elisya, I -"

"Guys, can't this wait until later?" Percy interrupted. "I've got to find Annabeth, and I need you two to have my back. Now - move out!"

Elisya guided them to the Doors. Percy could see clusters of monsters growing in size as they walked. They were all in the same position through each tunnel - battle stations, possibly? Percy kept an eye out for Annabeth, but she was nowhere to be seen.

"Stop!" Elisya's arm flew out across Percy's chest, halting him in his tracks. A look of severity crossed her face.

She took a breath and turned to face Percy. "This is where I draw the line. I'm sorry, but it's not safe. There's about six thousand monsters in this tunnel alone. A female cyclops is leading them. I recognise her as Ma Gasket. My friend Jen went to deliver a cart to Ma Gasket and never returned."

Percy risked a glance behind Elisya. She was right - thousands of monsters, but a considerable amount less than what Percy had taken on during the second Titan war. Although that time, he'd borne the mark of Achilles.

This time I've got the Elixir, he reminded himself.

A massive seven-foot thing - that was the best word for her - stood in the middle the tunnel. In one hand was a piece of wood that was alight with blazing fire, whilst in the other was a two-metre long thin leather whip. Her hands and face were rugged and scarred, her black locks lank and greasy at her grubby ears. A makeshift dress made of cloth and sewn, with what appeared to be hair, clung to her overweight body. The hideous glare of her squelchy eye was sickening, the pupil as red as her victims' blood.

"I'll take Gasket," Percy decided. "You guys handle the rest. I'll help you as soon as I can, but Gasket is our main priority. She's what stands between me and those Doors - and Annabeth."

Mikey nodded. "All right then. Elisya, with me."

He reached out his hand, and Elisya took it. She leant over and kissed his cheek, causing Mikey to flush red.

Then they charged off, swords drawn. Leaving Percy to fight the cyclops.

"Perseus Jackson!" Ma Gasket bellowed. "Long has Gaia promised me your arrival. Step forwards and face your doom!"

Percy looked down at himself. Nothing special. How did he know how to use the Elixir? Could he just begin a battle and expect it to work? Or was there a specific way to use it?