Chapter Eleven ~ PERCY

• Chapter Eleven •
• PERCY •

Percy hated that manticore more than most monsters. Thorn had tried to attack the di Angelo kids, Bianca and Nico. Thorn had been part of a plot that had resulted in a dangerous quest that killed Bianca. Thorn had led a group of female warriors called the Hunters of Artemis after him, whose leader Zoë Nightshade died. Percy's friend Thalia had taken Zoë's place and become immortal. Thorn had even helped trap Artemis.

But, more importantly to Percy, Thorn had kidnapped Annabeth and trapped her for days whilst Percy searched for her. Although Percy had been part of a quest to ultimately save the goddess Artemis and return her for the solstice, he actually meant to rescue Annabeth before she died.

More than anything, Percy wanted Riptide. But he didn't have it. He felt so helpless.

"I'm not here for you, Percy," Dr. Thorn said with a grin. "I'm actually here for the girl."

Percy glanced at Annabeth. "Her?"

Thorn laughed. "Yes, her."

His fake French accident is really bad, Percy thought. He took a step forwards, but Thorn hissed.

"I would step away, Jackson, or the girl gets it!"

Before Percy could move, the manticore flung himself on Annabeth. Annabeth cried out, her broken ankle taking the weight of both of them. Thorn threw her over his shoulder, then flew up to the ceiling of the cavern. He arched his back and hit Annabeth's head as hard as he could. Annabeth's body went limp.

"What are you doing?" Percy cried.

"She will lead me to the Doors of Death!" Thorn shouted, his voice echoing round the cavern. "She is destined to die there, which means she will lead the way inadvertently. Did you not realise that this girl is the key to escaping Tartarus?"

Percy felt like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders again. It became kind of obvious now.  Annabeth was the key, as Thorn had put it. She had to be at the Doors for the prophecy to be true. Seeing as nearly every monster in Tartarus appeared to know about the prophecy, that meant they would all be searching for a daughter of Athena to show them the way to their escape route. And Annabeth was that daughter.

"You're not getting her," Percy said.

"Oh, but what if I offered you a price?"

Thorn held out his hand. An image of Riptide appeared, glowing dimly.

"How did you -" Percy said, then stopped himself. As much as he missed Riptide, now was not the time to bargain for it.

"A god trapped in Tartarus is never difficult to meet," Thorn growled happily. "Dolus might be a son of Gaia, but he still has control. Gaia ordered that he keep it, in return for his freedom, but I persuaded Dolus to hand it over. I knew I would need it!"

Percy looked over at Annabeth. Her arms hung lifelessly by her sides. A thick gash had opened across her forehead, dribbling down her left cheek. Her face was pale and gaunt. Her ankle worried him most, though. The makeshift splint had shattered, with the broken pieces of wood digging deep into her foot. It twisted at an odd angle. He had to get her ambrosia.

"You can join us," Percy said quickly. "Just put Annabeth down. Let me get some medicine into her. She'll be no use to you dead. The prophecy won't succeed."

Thorn considered this. "Hurry. One square of ambrosia, just enough to keep her alive. No more than that. I'll be watching your every move, Jackson."

He threw Annabeth to the ground. She groaned in pain. Percy ran to her side. If he could just take Thorn by surprise, overpower him... no. It was too risky with Thorn nearby.

He slipped Annabeth's backpack off from her shoulders. She was shivering. Her jacket had been lost in the nightmare pool. Percy took off his own jacket and place it beneath her, then drew the arms around her to cover her shoulders. Then he unzipped the backpack and took out a bag of ambrosia squares.

But they weren't squares any more. They were crushed powder, all small and tiny like salt, from where Annabeth had fallen on it. Percy had a plan. If Thorn was a monster, then he wouldn't need ambrosia, meaning he'd probably only seen it in squares. So he wouldn't know exactly how much Percy was giving to Annabeth if the ambrosia wasn't recognisable...

"Hurry up, Jackson!" Thorn thundered.

Percy poured a large amount into his hand. If he could feed as much as possible to Annabeth, then she could wake up and regain her strength. They could both fight Thorn. It was a long shot, but he had to try.

He tilted Annabeth's head back and poured the medicine into her mouth in small amounts. He knew that too much, too fast, would burn her up. Although he'd never seen it happen to an actual demigod, he didn't wish to see it happen. Especially not to Annabeth.

Her eyes flickered open. Percy held a finger to his lips.She nodded weakly to show she understood, then closed her eyes and rested her head to the side.

"Have you finished yet, Jackson?" Thorn bellowed.

Percy nodded and turned to Thorn. "We're ready to leave."

Thorn advanced towards Annabeth and heaved her over his left shoulder. "Then let's go."

Percy walked behind his captor. Annabeth opened one eye. Percy could see she was struggling to remain calm. Then he saw her reaching down. Her bronze knife, tucked away in Thorn's shaggy coat. Her hand was almost on the hilt.

And then she hit the floor.

"ANNABETH!" Percy cried.

Blood began to pour from the freshly-closed wound on her forehead. Thorn grinned as he turned round.

"Nice try, Percy Jackson. Now watch her die."

********

I KNOW. I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON. It's bad enough I've published late. Now it's really short! And a huge cliffhanger! Basically the spacebar on my computer is broken and I have to copy and paste each space! Do you have ANY idea how annoying that is?!?

Anyway. I am now typing on my iPod. Sorry.

~ Lauren Susan xx

P.S. THANK YOU TO MY 286 READERS! CAN WE MAKE 300? xx