Chapter Twenty-Nine ~ ANNABETH

• Chapter Twenty-Eight • 

• ANNABETH •

"How are you and Jason, then?"

"Oh. Well. We're good. Sometimes he talks about his life at Camp Jupiter, and his eyes always brighten a little when he talks about Reyna. He also enjoys spending time with Frank and Hazel, and practising Roman techniques with them."

"It could be worse, mate."

"I know. I just love him."

Annabeth was sitting up in her double bed, Piper at her side. Her best friend wore a rose-pink blouse and a black skirt, her dark glossy legs on show, her layered hair pulled back in a ponytail. A newly-cut (thanks to the power of Aphrodite) fringe covered her right eye. She looked gorgeous.

Annabeth was dressed in a more casual way. She wore a stretchy long-sleeved white T-shirt and dark skinnies, with a grey skull-printed scarf and her hair in a messy fishtail plait. They had the box set of Harry Potter and were making their way through all the movies.

Hazel was invited, but denied politely to spend the day helping Leo. Something had happened between them and Frank, and Annabeth hadn't yet worked out what it was.

Grover had served them enchiladas (after eating two-thirds of them).

Percy was being super-sweet, giving them space. It had been just over three weeks since Annabeth was bought back to life; it felt like nothing though. Percy had waited on her hand and foot patiently. Truthfully, he was probably quite glad for a break.

Silencing the chat to watch some of the movie, Annabeth helped herself to some popcorn. Piper laughed.

"Rupert Grint, so ginger," she noted.

"He's kinda cute," Annabeth said. "And Rachel is a redhead."

"True."

Annabeth hit the pause button. "So. Have you tried to speaking to him? Jason, I mean?"

"As if," Piper scoffed. "He's too wrapped up in being Jason. Gods I love him, but he's so... so... I don't know, perfect."

Annabeth giggled. "Every girl thinks that about her boyfriend. Except I know for a fact that Percy isn't."

"But you're good for Percy. He's definitely a troublemaker. I noticed that immediately. You're so sensible and wise. You two work together as one person. That's what makes you a hundred percent there."

Annabeth blushed. "Maybe."

"Not maybe. Definitely."

Both girls grinned.

"Piper, what's happened between Leo and Hazel and Frank? I couldn't help noticing they're all a little off with each other, and Hazel seems particularly connected with Leo."

"Well you couldn't know this before you fell into Tartarus, obviously. But Leo is the great-grandson of Hazel's boyfriend from the 1940s, Sammy Valdez."

"Get out! Seriously?"

"Totally serious. They look identical, according to Hazel. And there's more."

"Can't be!"

"Sammy sold one of the jewels that Hazel raised from the ground years before. Up until his death, he blamed himself for Hazel's. The poor guy never forgave himself."

"Wow. Ooh, ooh, Professor Quirrell is on! I love him."

"Quirrell or Snape?"

"Quirrell. Fred or George?"