Chapter Eight ~ PERCY

• Chapter Eight •

• PERCY •

Percy instinctively reached for Riptide, but it wasn't there. That stupid god Dolus had nicked it.

"Who is it?" he asked Annabeth. 

She rolled her eyes. "Percy, just how stupid are you?"

"Um..."

"If I knew who it was, don't you think I would be a little less cautious?" She nodded down at her dagger, which she had drawn.

"I..."

Annabeth groaned. "Just shut up."

She stepped forwards. "My name is -"

"I know who you are." The dark silhouette of a tall person could be seen.

Annabeth's face paled. "Step forwards."

"Do not command me, Annabeth Chase!" the voice thundered.

Percy hated this cloak-and-dagger feeling. He never knew who they were facing in Tartarus. "I... I know your voice."

"Do you recognise her, Percy?" Annabeth was shaking a little.

Percy thought hard. "Kind of. But..."

The truth was, he couldn't place who the voice belonged to. It sounded familiar, but it was full of bitterness and anger and resentment, along with a sort of prolonged sadness.

"Percy Jackson." The voice seemed even sadder. "Surely you must remember me?

"I..."

"Am I that forgotten? So forgotten that the greatest demigod since Hercules has forgotten me? Well. I suppose I am only a mere child of Aphrodite."

The person took a step forwards. Or rather, they floated forwards, because they were dead. It was a young girl, around the age of sixteen. Her dark brown hair was pulled back into a high ponytail, showing off her spot-free tanned forehead. She had soft friendly blue eyes that sparkled with sorrow. She had perfect white teeth, a cute button nose and dimples in her cheeks that might once have been rosy. A pink tee that read CRAZY 4 LURV hugged her figure and was paired with cameo shorts. She wore brown lace-up hiker boots and was adorned with a leather bag. A small pink flower rested in her hair. Around her neck was a necklace - with three beads representing her years.

"Silena Beauregard," Percy said.

"Leader of the Aphrodite cabin," Annabeth added.

Silena nodded and looked at Percy. "Grover warned you to find me, Percy, in your dream. He told you it was essential for your quest."

Annabeth threw her boyfriend an angry look. "Did he now?"

"I'll tell you later," Percy promised. Then he turned back to Silena. "Grover told me ghosts can't be found willingly because of Hades. No offence, but I wasn't actually looking for you at this moment."

Silena nodded sadly. "Of course you weren't. I died a painful death, a heroic death that had no heroism at all. I sacrificed myself to bring the Ares cabin to war. It is my fault so many people died. Kronos was my leader. I was dumb. Charles Beckendorf died in my name."

Her words were full of agony and remorse that Percy couldn't help feeling sorry for her.

Annabeth sheathed her knife and held out her hands in apology. "Silena, nobody blames you. We all forgave you. We gave you a shroud, which both Aphrodite and Ares claimed for their cabins. You were a hero in the end."

"So I was told." Silena looked away. "I will never forgive myself. What I did was treacherous. My boyfriend died because of me. When I joined him in the Underworld, I had hoped... I had hoped he would forgive me."