Chapter Thirty-One ~ Wedding Preparation

• Chapter Thirty-One • 

• Wedding Preparation •

• PERCY •

Percy sat on the subway to Manhattan. He was nervous; since almost dying last week, he had barely spoken to anybody. Now it was time to see his mum.

Paul would be there, too, and Thalia was still staying with them. She had moved in temporarily during Percy and Annabeth's absence.

Half an hour later, Percy jumped off the train and rushed through the busy streets. He came up to his flat. His home.

Suddenly, his insides transformed into jelly. He was nervous. How could he tell his parents that, at seventeen years old, he was getting married?

Slowly, Percy walked up to the door. He knocked quietly.

"Who is it?" Paul called.

"It's me."

The door opened. Paul Blofis stood there, wearing jeans and a scarlet checked shirt. He grinned, his smile fitting his old country-style look. His hair was well-groomed and light brown. He didn't look forty.

"Percy!" Paul pulled his stepson into a strong hug. "We've been going spare!"

"I'm sorry," Percy said. "But I've got good news."

"So have we," Paul said with a clap on Percy's back. "Come on in. Sally and Thalia will be excited. But don't expect to get off scot-free."

"Did I ever stand a chance?" Percy joked.

Paul laughed. "One's a daughter of Zeus and the other is the most protective mother in the world. Hmm. What do you think?"

Percy rolled his eyes, and let Paul lead him indoors.

His mother was sitting on the couch, watching the news with wide eyes. Paul put a finger on his lips to Percy. Sally didn't look up.

"Is he dead?" Paul asked, hiding a smirk.

Sally shook her head. "I haven't seen his name yet. Paul, I'm so worried. I know Grover said he had fallen into Tartarus. But what if that evil earth goddess got him?"

"I can't believe that you actually think the earth swallowed Percy."

"Don't joke, Paul! This is serious! What if our Percy is dead, and you're just acting like nothing happened? You will regret it when -" Sally spun round angrily. Then her eyes settled on Percy.

"It's him," she whispered. She stood up, hands on her forehead as if she couldn't believe he was actually here. "Thalia!" she shouted.

Thalia emerged from a room down the flat.

"Percy!" she gasped.

"Are you sleeping in my bedroom?" Percy asked, offended. A girl was sleeping in his bed!

"Yes," Thalia snapped, slightly bewildered. "Problem?"

"Well, obviously! That's my bedroom. I have private stuff in there!"

An evil look crossed Thalia's face. "I know."

Percy felt blood rising to his cheeks. "Thalia!"

"Percy!" she mocked, squealing. She waggled her eyebrows and grinned.

Sally crushed Percy into a hug. Then she pushed him hard down on the couch.

"HOW DARE YOU DISAPPEAR FOR TEN MONTHS, PERSEUS JACKSON! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHATSOEVER WHAT WE HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH. ANNABETH TELLS US YOU'VE BEEN MISSING FOR EIGHT MONTHS, THEN YOU'RE FOUND. AND THEN YOU GO GALLIVANTING OFF INTO HELL!"