12

Nyx's pov

Early the next morning we were all dragged in for a gear inspection. Annie had successfully pulled off her mission.

"How did you predict this?" Reiner whispered to me.

"I told you, I know how my opponent plays." I said.

"Name and training corps?" A soldier asked me.

"Nyx Betzner, 104th cadet Corpse under commander Keith Shadis." I said.

"When was the last time you used it?" The soldier asked.

"Two weeks ago during the mission to reclaim Trost." I replied.

"When was it last repaired?" They asked.

"Two weeks ago, the morning of the trost mission." I replied.

The soldier then looked over my gear before writing in his notebook.

"Checks out." The soldier said before moving on to Reiner.

He asked Reiner the same questions before examining his gear and moving on to the next one.

"We choose our regiment later today, are you sure you want us to go with the scouts?" Reiner asked.

"I'm sure, it's our best course of action." I said. "If you don't want to though you and Bertholdt can go to the M.Ps and Annie can come with me."

"No, it's fine. I was just making sure that that's what you want." Reiner said.

"What I want doesn't really matter, I need to think about what's best strategically." I said. "That doesn't mean I'm not going to give you options."

Reiner nodded.

Time skip

Night fell and everyone left in the 104th cadet corps had been lined up by a stage to pick our regiments. There weren't too many of us left, alot dropped out before we finished training and if they hadn't then they were dead.

On the stage stood a tall Broad shouldered man in a scout uniform with neat blonde hair.

"I am Erwin Smith, commander of the survey corps. Today you are to choose your military branch. Put bluntly I'm here to persuade you to join the survey corps. During the titan attack you learned how terrifying they can be and how limited your own power is. However... this battle brought humanity closer to victory than its ever been through Eren Jaeger's existence. By risking his own life, he's proven himself without a doubt, a friend of humanity. With his help, not only did we stop the titans' advance but we have a way to discover their true nature. We believe that in the basement of his home in Shiganshina are answers about the titans that he himself doesn't know. If we can reach that basement, we will find a clue to end this century of Titan rule." Commander Erwin began. "We will head for this basement in Shiganshina. This requires us to retake wall Maria. In other words, our objectives haven't changed but with the Trost gate sealed we'll have to take the long way around, from the Karanes district to the east. In the past four years we have lost over 60% of our soldiers, 60% in four years... an insane figure. Any trainees who join will take part in our excursion beyond the walls in a months time. We expect 30% of you won't make it. In four years most will be dead, but those who survive will become superior soldiers with high survival rates. Knowing these discouraging facts, any still willing to risk their lives, remain here. Ask yourselves... can you give your heart? Can you give your everything for humanity? That is all, anyone wishing to join another branch I'd dismissed."

I clenched my fists as I watched everyone begin to leave. The tension was so thick and suffocating that I myself wanted to just turn and walk away while I still had the chance.

"I ask you, if you were ordered to die could you do it?" Commander Erwin said.

"We don't want to die, sir!" Someone replied.

"Of course, let us hope that you don't then. You who stayed are now one of us, allow me to welcome you to the survey corps. This is a genuine salute soldiers, together we give our hearts!" Commander Erwin said before saluting us.

We all saluted back. That was it, we were now scouts.

"Those of you standing here have worked through your fear, you've proven yourselves courageous. Each of you has my respect." Commander Erwin said.

Time skip

After the ceremony I was pulled aside by Commander Shadis. He led me through into a room with Commander Erwin and a few members of the survey corps inside.

"Erwin, I want you to meet Cadet Nyx Betzner. I believe she's just joined up with you actually." Commander Shadis said.

"Really? Well it's nice to meet you." Commander Erwin said as he shook my hand.

"I wanted to introduce you to make sure her talents weren't overlooked. The only other person I have met as strategically talented as her is you and I was hoping could nurture that. She may end up in your position one day if trained properly." Commander Shadis explained.

"I see, I'll keep that in mind." Erwin said.

I smiled at him. Checkmate.

"I look forward to working with you." I said.

Commander Erwin smiled back and nodded at me. I had him right where I wanted him.