27

Nyx's pov

The Scouts caught up with us almost immediately because Yimir caused trouble to get Historia to come with us. Bertholdt and I were stood on Reiner's armoured titan body on top of his shoulder. Bertholdt had an unconscious Eren strapped to his back and Yimir, in her titan form, stood on Reiner's other shoulder with Historia in her hand.

Mikasa was coming for us with everything she had, she was scary as hell.

"Reiner! Protect us!" Bertholdt exclaimed.

Reiner's hands came up to cover us just in time to avoid us being stabbed by Mikasa. She stared at us through the gap in Reiner's fingers, if looks could kill all of us would be dead and buried.

"Quit struggling, it's not going to help." Bertholdt said as Eren squirmed on his back.

"I'd knock him out if I could reach the pressure point." I said.

"Good luck talking sense into that one Bertholdt, when something light a fire under him that's it." Jean's voice came. "Getting Eren to calm down is a lost cause, take my word for it. I've been on the receiving end more than you have. What do you say we teach him patience? Come on, show yourself."

"Jean!? Jean you need to move! If you get in the way there's nothing I can do to stop them from killing you this time!" I said.

"Nyx, I thought we were over this after that conversation with Armin during the expedition." Bertholdt said.

"As if you haven't went against things! I told you not to touch Jean and I ment it!" I hissed.

"Nyx, I don't know how you're involved in this but we'll sort that out later. You better have a good reason." Jean said.

"Give Eren back right now!" Mikasa ordered.

"Guys, really? This is some kind of joke right? No way this is you, you've been lying to us this whole time!? We were supposed to be comrades!" Connie said.

"They still are, this is all just a miss understanding." Sasha said.

"Where do you think you're going? You cant keep running forever, we're not gonna let that happen. Rat bastards, through thick and thin we slept under the same roof together as soldiers for three years. As a matter of fact the positions you could sleep in were an art form Bertholdt, I'm not kidding. We all loved waking up to see your contortions in the morning, we used to predict the weather with them. How'd you do it Bertholdt, you must not have had a care in the world, lying beside your victims yet you slept like a log." Jean said.

"Was it all just an act to you? What about the way we all used to talk about surviving this together? About growing old and looking back on the worst of it over drinks! Was that all bullshit? Answer me!" Connie said. "Gon on, what was the point? What were you trying to do?"

At this point I was crying. For the past few years I've lived the life I always wanted to live. I was treated like a human being, respected by people, I had friends and freedom, freedom I had never had before. Now it was all gone so that I could go back to a life of slavery and suffering.

"It doesn't matter anymore, shut up and focus on opening the Traitor's neck. Hesitate for a moment and we forfeit Eren. Who cares what they pretended to be, this is their choice." Mikasa said.

"No! You're wrong! Who chooses to be this?! Tell me! What do you think I am, huh!? What!? You think this is what we aspired to be!? People loath us, and why wouldn't they? We're monsters, we deserve to die for the things we've done! We're lost, we could live a thousand years and never again know peace. Try to imagine that darkness, our only light was our brief time as soldiers. It was never a lie! Do you understand!? We're not who we said we were but it wasn't an act! We genuinely thought of you as out friends! I'm not stupid, I know I have no right to ask forgiveness but please... I beg of you. If we were comrades, someone find us." Bertholdt said, tears beginning to fall from his eyes as well.

"We didn't ask to be this way! We didn't want any of this to happen! We would do anything to be who we said we were, to be human, to be able to be worth your friendship. This world is a cruel place, it didn't give us a choice! I'm sorry it turned out like this! I'd do anything to change it but I can't!" I said.

"Give him back, I won't ask again." Mikasa said.

"I'm sorry but I can't. One of you has to do it, one of you has to stain your hands with my blood." Bertholdt said. "Please show Nyx some mercy though, she's just a desperate kid that was dragged into this."

Suddenly things got really rough and through my tear blurred eyes I saw a huge horde of titans.

"Shit! Bertholdt I need you to catch me, I'm about to kill all my energy in one go." I said.

Just then Reiner removed his hands from us to punch away some titans.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!" I screamed, it came out as a screechy mess as titan screams usually did.

All of the titans stopped trying to eat Reiner and I swayed. I collapsed forwards as my eyes fell shut.