53

Nyx's pov

The next morning Hanji and Levi came to get me. It was the first time I had seen someone other than Levi in the past two days.

"Nyx, its good to see you again." Hanji said.

"Hanji!" I said before hugging the older woman. "I missed you."

"We all missed you too." Hanji said.

Time skip

When I arrived at the prison cell that held Gabi and Falco the two children rushed to the bars.

"Miss Betzner! You're okay!" Falco cheered.

"I'm gonna be fine Falco, don't worry. Are you two okay?" I asked.

"Those devils have us trapped, how are we going to get out? You've got a plan, right?" Gabi said and I shook my head.

"For now we don't go anywhere. We do as they say and see how everything plays out." I said.

"Why!? They killed our people! Zofia and Udo are dead and it's their fault!" Gabi raged.

I clenched my fists as I tried to stop myself reacting emotionally. I wanted to cry at the news of the children we lost but I also wanted to yell at her about how we deserved worse. King Fritz was right, if we all went extinct the world's problems would disappear.

"We killed a third of their population in one night. Reiner and I did to them what they did to us. I'm just as mad as you are, Zofia and Udo didn't deserve to die but, we brought it on ourselves." I said.

Gabi glared at me but I reached my arms through the bars and hugged the two children. Gabi fought against it for a second before relaxing.

"Do you have any plans miss Betzner?" Falco asked.

"Not at all but I'll figure something out so don't worry. I won't let any harm come to you two, you both mean a lot to me." I said. "Besides, there's always hope that Reiner and Porco will come."

"You're not going to betray marley like zeke did are you?" Gabi asked.

"Of course not, doing that would hurt you and Reiner and I would never want to hurt you two. You're both my everything after all." I said.

Gabi then smiled at me. It broke my heart. This world was so cruel, there were no exceptions. I wanted so badly to be a part of Eldia and the people in the walls, to do what I should do as a Betzner but I also wanted to be what Gabi and Falco want me to be. I wanted to have Reiner and my life with him and his family and take care of the candidates but I also wanted the life my I used to have here that my parents had dreamed for me. Then there was the fact that I was dying, either way I'd be missing out and dying unsatisfied.

"Colt said you and Zeke were like siblings, did you know about this?" Falco asked.

"No, I didn't but I understand why. Eren is Zeke's brother. This is his only chance to get to know his brother and have a relationship with him before he dies." I explained.

"So the island devils are using that against him? They'll pay." Gabi said.

I felt bad, Gabi was so brainwashed. We all took part in making her This way and now it was too late to save her.

"Nyx, we have to go now, there are other things that need to be done today. Jean and Armin should be ready for your arrival now though." Hanji said and I nodded.

I turned and began to follow her but paused.

"Falco." I said. "Take care of Gabi for me."

With that I left with Hanji and Levi.

"You lied straight to their faces." Hanji said once we were out of the room.

"I haven't lied to anyone, I can't betray Marley if I was never on their side. I sided with the warriors and their candidates, I'm not betraying them by helping you in fact this is in their best interest." I said.

"What do they gain out of this?" Hanji asked.

"Freedom." I said. "That's all I want for them."