42

Nyx's pov

I had finally gotten my confirmation that Zofia was going to be my successor. I was leaning against a barrier writing notes for her on the command Titan's abilities and role. She'd more than likely end up as the vice captain or possibly captain since Zeke would be gone.

My mind kept wandering. Zofia would see my whole life from start to finish. She would see my mother being murdered infront of me, she would see my time as a slave, she would see the training I went through, she'd see my time on Paradis and all my interactions there and she'd see every moment from my return to Marley. She might even pick up some of my habits, the nervous babbling or distaste for eating, either or would be bad.

Flashback

' Annie, Reiner, Bertholdt, Marcel and I were sat around a campfire after stopping on our way to the walls.

"Here. Let me fix your hair." Annie said as she patted her lap.

"Thanks Annie! You're the best." I said as I moved to sit in her lap.

"You really should learn to do this yourself." Annie said. "I might not be around to do it for you later on."

"I've seen you do it enough times to help her with it." Reiner said.

"Don't you guys think we're babying her too much? What happens if we all get separated and there's noone to help her?" Bertholdt said.

"Nyx is smart, she'll figure it out. Today's her birthday though, let her have this." Marcel said.

"I wish I could have spent it with papa. But he needs me to do this for him." I said.

"There's no turning back, when we reach the wall tomorrow..." Marcel trailed off.

"Huh? What's wrong? Don't tell me you're feeling hesitant about killing these devils, they're a threat to our entire world! The greatest nation in the world chose us to save it, to punish these devils for their crimes!" Reiner said.

"I'm sorry..." Marcel said. "Listen Reiner, the truth of it is, you were never meant to be chosen. I influenced the army's decision by making my little brother look bad and putting you up on a pedestal. I'm sorry, I only did it so that pock would... be safe. I'm sorry Reiner."

Tears began to fall from his eyes and he quickly tried to wipe them away.

"Don't cry Marcie, everyone got what they wanted from what you did. Except Pock but I'm sure he'll understand. Reiner wanted to be a warrior and because of you he is. You want to keep Pock safe and right now he's safely at home, it's a win win, right?" I said but Annie shook her head no causing me to frown.

Just then a titan appeared from nowhere from behind Reiner. I let out a scream of terror as Marcel pushed Reiner out of the way.

Annie quickly scooped me up into her arms and took off in a sprint after Reiner. I watched in terror over her shoulder as Marcel was eaten alive.

"Not bad, you just beat me in a long distance race, you've never done that before." Annie said to Reiner as she set me down. "If we had transformed and defended ourselves, we wouldn't have lost the jaw titan. Shit! He's gone for good now."