38

Nyx's pov

It was only when we got over the walls to where our ship was waiting that Reiner and I were spat out.

"Zeke! Pieck! You guys are here! You saved us!" I said as I smiled at him.

"Come here and give me a hug, I haven't seen you since you were ten. You're all grown up." Zeke said, smiling back.

I did as he said, climbing up onto Pieck to hug him. I buried my face into his chest. I might not have wanted to return but Zeke, Pieck and Reiner were still people I cared about so I'd have to make do. The world kept showing me the life I wanted and then reminding me I could never have it.

"You've grown up to be beautiful. I hope those devils didn't brainwash you." Zeke said.

"No, but I certainly brainwashed them. They really believed that I was choosing them over you guys. All I had to do was tell them some useless information and save them from a cave in and suddenly I was in on everything." I said.

"That's my girl. That's why you were chosen to lead them, there's no-one with a mind quite like yours." Zeke said.

The compliment made me smile. Getting compliments from Zeke always made me feel like I was special.

"Do we get to go home now or do we have to go for Eren again? I can start planning immediately if you need." I said.

"No. We're going home now." Zeke said. "I trust Reiner told you about your father."

"Yeah... he was murdered." I said as I looked down.

"You can't be heard saying that when we get back, they won't take kindly to it. If it's mentioned they'll say he died of his disease." Zeke said and I nodded.

Of course they'd deny what actually happened. They wouldn't want to look bad.

"Come on, let's go home." Zeke said.

Time skip

On the ship home I sat and stared out at the ocean. My feet dangling over the edge of the ship as I watched absentmindedly. I hadn't even noticed Pieck come up behind me.

"Hey, how are you holding up?" Pieck asked.

"Okay. It just feels so strange to be going home. I spent five years of my life there pretending to be a soldier and now it's time for me to go home and be whatever I am now." I said.

"You're a warrior but more importantly you're Nyx. The brainiac that wants to be an adventurer and is afraid of the local Baker. He's still alive and kicking by the way, you might wanna look out." Pieck said.

"Maybe I can be the one to scare him this time." I said and pieck giggled.

"Maybe so, wouldn't that be funny." Pieck said.

"It would. I'll show up there, buy a loaf of bread and then glare menacingly, I'll be so scary he'll piss himself on the spot." I said before Pieck and I began to laugh.

"What are you two laughing about?" Zeke asked as he came up behind us.

"Zeke! You've healed up fast, how are you feeling?" I asked.

"Fine, thanks. What was all the giggling?" Zeke asked.

"We were just talking about how Nyx is going to be the one scaring the baker this time." Pieck said.

Zeke chuckled and ruffled my hair.

"You were always terrified of him." Zeke said. "I'm glad to here you're gonna stand up to him this time."

"I've spent years with those devils, I can deal with an angry old man who spends his time making bread." I said. "How's reiner holding up?"

"His hands and feet haven't grown back yet. He's tired but he's okay." Zeke said.

"He's the only one left that knows what I went through in there, the only one that knows the horrors. I grew so close to him having only him and the devils. I just want him to be okay. I need him." I said and Zeke nodded in understanding.

"He's a warrior, he'll be fine. Don't worry." Zeke said.

"I'm going to go get dinner, are you hungry Nyx? I don't know if they would have fed you or not." Pieck said.

"I haven't eaten at all today actually, I'm starving." I said.

"Come on then. Im sure Porco will want to have dinner with you too but if you're starving why wait? You'll just have two dinners today." Pieck said.