19

Nyx's pov

A week later all of us newer recruits were gathered in some building in the middle of nowhere in wall Rose. We were in our plain clothes without acces to our o.d.m gear. I was anxious, Annie was stuck in stohess and I didn't know if she was alive, dead or captured.

I was sat with Krista and Yimir, my leg bouncing as I fidgeted with my fingers.

"Are you okay Nyx?" Krista asked.

"I'm fine, just worried. I mean, doesn't it feel a little off to you? We're here in plain clothes but our superiors are armed to the heavens. We're stationed in the middle of nowhere too, it's almost like they're expecting something to happen." I said.

"I'm sure its nothing." Krista said.

"I'm with Nyx on this one, they must be waiting on something." Yimir said.

"Uh guys! I think I'm hearing footsteps!" Sasha exclaimed suddenly.

"Knock it off Sasha, are you trying to say there's titans around here? That would only be possible if wall Rose had been compromised." Reiner said.

It couldn't have been compromised because Reiner, Bertholdt and I were all still here and Annie was in stohess. Unless of course one of the others was sent to help us.

"Im being serious guys! I hear something!" Sasha said.

One of the higher ups appeared at the window suddenly and pushed it open.

"Is everyone here?" She asked.

"What is I Nanaba?" Krista asked.

"We've got company approximately 500 meters to the south and closing in. Titans are heading this way." She said. "There's no time to suit up with your o.d.m gear. I want everyone on a horse, stat, evacuate every home and settlement in the area. Get to it!"

Everyone was quick to their feet, rushing downstairs to start preparing the horses. Everyone was rushed and yet organised as they ran around gearing up.

I was struggling to get the saddle on my horse properly.

"Here, the last thing we need is you falling off your horse while we're being chased by titans." Reiner said as he quickly fastened it on.

"Thanks." I said before dropping my voice. "Stay safe, this wasn't in my plans."

"I know, I could tell by the look on your face. Remember, whatever you need to survive, forget about everyone else." Reiner said quietly before ruffling my hair.

Reiner then picked me up by the waist and placed me on my horse. Once he was sure I was up properly he rushed off to help Connie. It took about five minutes for all of us to get our horses ready and ride out.

"The second the titans reach the woods we'll split up! I want four separate teams! Recruits and soldiers alike in each unit! When I give the signal we'll scatter in different directions simultaneously! Get the word out to civilians, do not engage the enemy! Which one of you is most familiar with the area?" Mike said.

"Me! My hometown is just to the north of here, I know this region like tha back of my hand. Connie too, go on, tell 'em." Sasha said. "What's wrong?"

"My village, my village is to the south. That's where the titans are coming from. I can lead you to nearby settlements but afterwords, let me go home. Please." Connie said.

"Very well, guide the southern team and then go to your village." Mike said.

"I'll come with you." Reiner said.

"What? No, you're crazy. They'll be everywhere." Connie said.

"You think I care. I was gonna help you get home anyway, wasn't I? What about you, you coming?" Reiner asked.

"Of course, wouldn't miss it for the world." Bertholdt replied.

"As you have guessed, today marks the darkest hour in humanity's history. Look sharp, if ever we needed to give our all that time is now." Nanaba said. "Don't loose heart!"

"They've reached the woods! The enemy is right ontop of us!" Someone said.

"Scatter, now! Ride for everything you're worth!" Mike ordered. "No. They're coming at us full tilt."

"Holy shit!" Connie said.

"We're out here with no gear, we're gonna die." I said.

"Gelgar, take charge of the southern team!" Mike ordered before taking off after the titans charging for us.

"Tell me he's not using himself as bait." A soldier said.

"I'll go with him, I can help." A different soldier said.

"No. We can't spare any more soldiers. Give him some credit, that man's skills are second only to captain Levi. He'll make it back alive, count on it." Gelgar said.

With that we split into our groups. I went with Krista, Yimir and Nanaba.

There were only two ways these titans got here. Either the Pieck carried a small group over the walls without being seen or Zeke was here. If Zeke was here it was bad news for everyone.