The Second Path

Bela and Ethan treked quietly through the forest leading to the Benevento's, careful not to make much sound.

But Ethan already used his gas mask. He said for safety measures.

Bela can't blame him. Everything bad starts happening when you're too late to notice it.

The Bakers gave an example well enough.

Bela shakes her head.

While she walked through the dense forest, she finally started to see in the distance the Benevento Estate. She could also hear the water fall's water crashing loudly in the distance.

Then, she decided to finally put on her gas mask just incase.

Both her and Ethan went up to the gate and opened it.

Right off the bat they could see graves and dolls everywhere, and there was also mist.

But Bela was no stranger to this place. She had been here multiple times, helping the lady of the house herself with her plants both Hallucinogenic and natural.

Bela couldn't imagine barging into her home without warning even though she knows Donna sees her and Ethan approaching through the dolls she hung up on or on top of the graves.

She knocks, respectfully once she and Ethan finally reached the door.

She knocked more when there was still no answer.

After a few more minutes, Bela was going to knock again before the door creaked open, revealing Angie, Lady Beneviento's childhood doll.

The doll obviously lacked expression but it's voice was enough of an invitation.

"Get in."

Bela can feel herself chuckle at the doll's rudeness. It was always like this when she visited. But maybe Angie couldn't see who she was through her mask and new clothing.

Bela and Ethan entered casually as she saw Ethan looked around.

She saw his eyes land on the portrait of Lady Beneviento's, holding Angie.

Her mother had made it for Lady Benevento as a kind of present.

She could tell Ethan seemed fazed and surprised that the woman in the veil was the woman in the painting. Although truly, it was an amazing work from her mother. She too was amazed once.

But their attention was taken away as they heard slow, quiet footsteps echo in the near-empty house.

Bela and Ethan both turned around to see a veiled woman walking from behind a door thta was once closed.

He and Bela walked to the table with four chairs as they sat down slowly in respect and silence. The lady of the house also sat down in front of them.

"Where is my daughter."

Bela shushed Ethan as he was already going on the straightforward route. That could be deadly if he went alone and without the mask, or Bela.

"I'm sorry for his rudeness, Lady Beneviento, but we're just here to take the flask that Miranda had given you." Bela continued for him and she saw the doll's porcelain eyes widen at the familiarity of the respect and voice, despite the different tone it had because of the mask.

The veiled woman looked down, "Why... Should I... Give it... To you?" she asked back as Bela saw Ethan tense.

"Because-"

"Because if Miranda ressurects her daughter, then all of us won't be around anymore." Bela said, cutting Ethan off. Ethan didn't seem to mind her interference.

Bela saw the woman anxiously press her hands together under the table. She seemed hesitant.

"What do... You mean...?"

"You know what I mean, Donna." Bela said firmly as she saw the lady of the house flinch upon hearing her stern words.

"I..." she hesitated, "If I... Give it... To you, will you... Set us free...?" she asked as she glanced at Angie, the doll staring back at her from the other chair.

Bela felt herself smile. "Of course."

She felt Ethan turn his head to look at her but she didn't mind it.

The woman stayed quiet for awhile before finally speakin, "The flask... Is on a drawer... near the entrance."

Ethan nodded as he wordlessly got out of the chair and went to search the entrance for the drawer she was talking about.

Bela stayed in her seat.

"It's me, by the way. Bela." she said as she tugged on her mask.

Lady Beneviento nodded, acknowledging the information as the doll went down the chair and punched Bela's leg.

"Dummy! Stupid! Why are you helping him!?" the doll screeched as Bela took it from under the table and lifted it to sit it up on the table. Donna watched her.

"Because I want to save us." she answered as the doll stopped trying to attack her.

The doll only huffed as it climbed back across the table to the doll maker.

Bela bowed at Donna before standing up from her chair as Ethan told her he found the flask.

She waved goodbye to the Beneviento and the doll as she and Ethan made their leave through the front door.

Good thing for her and Ethan, there was no violence involved.

After they were already far enough away from the Estate, she and Ethan took their masks off with a huff.

Ethan inhaled and exhaled as soon as he took it off.

Bela also breathed in and out after she took the thing off. It wasn't really her first time on wearing the thing, it was just really uncomfortable as she was used to breathing in fresh air.

"Where to next?" Ethan asked as they finally started to walk again.

Bela turned her head around to face the man, "Let's head to the Reservoir next."

Ethan nodded as he pulled out his map.

Bela traced his finger to where they were now and where the reservoir was.

"It's a bit far..."

"That's no problem. You can always fly with me." Bela said confidently as Ethan shook his head, "Nevermind."

Bela shrugged as she continued to go through the forest.

So their next stop is the reservoir.

Let's just hope that Lord Moreau would be more accepting today.