This Is The End.

Bela felt her body twitch as more and more of her and her flies fell, crumbled, and turned to dust.

She was cracking, but unlike the numbness she felt three years ago, everything felt like it was burning.

She wished none of this happened in the first place.

She regretted ever gaining this strange immunity to her greatest weakness.

She regretted everything.

But she shakes those regrets away. There was no use regretting when you've already done it. She has made her decision. It was final, and she could not back out of it.

And she did not wish to turn away and regret saving Ethan, Rosemary, and everyone else.

She started all this for her family, after all.

She weakly looks up at the booming megamycete. She knew it still had its underground roots. She looked down at the detonator in her hand and she only hoped Chris also planted the bombs under there.

This small thing would finish everything. At least now everyone would be safe from the mold, from Miranda, and the megamycete.

She closed her eyes and took in all the sounds around as her body continued to crack before hearing another set of footsteps.

Snaller ones, this time.

She opened her eyes and on instinct, looked down.

"You really kept your promise, didn't you."

It was a familiar voice.

It was Eveline.

But Bela didn't make an attempt to snarl or push the child back. She knew better now.

And it was going to be her end, anyway. There was no use trying to evade another way to die.

She doesn't speak as her grip on the detonator only tightens. The hand that dies also started to crack.

"You won for your family."

Bela only hummed, but done nothing else as she stared numbly at the megamycete destroying every other mold root from Miranda in sight. It no longer had a host.

Bela looked down and saw that Eveline was also eyeing the massive creature.

The child didn't make an attempt to look back at her.

"I'm kind of envious. You know, that you have a family. Mia and Ethan were never enough." Eveline said as she closed her eyes.

"At least your family cared for you until your death."

Bela closed her own eyes.

She breathed in what was left of the air around.

She didn't cast another glance at Eveline as she finally pushed the button.

The detonator took seconds, but once it did, Bela knew Ethan and Chris were far enough away to feel the harsh blast of the bombs on the cold snow and ice now forming on the ground.

She smiled at her last breath.

She knew it was all worth it in the end.

Her last thought remained even after death.

I wasn't a failure after all.

-
-
-

A full day after everything happened, Chris returned to the location to inform the Lords.