Chapter 1.13:

Agreeing to do the show tonight was the worst mistake I had ever made.

JD and Aiden were arguing like an old married couple fighting over where to go to dinner. I was ready to knock them both out to get them to close their mouths for a few seconds while I checked the amp in front of me. I couldn't even concentrate on getting the blend right over their yapping.

Anything and everything that could go wrong before the show did.

My guitar was cutting in and out during our run-through and it turned out I had some odd wireless interference with the transmitter. I forgot the backup one I usually carried and ended up having to go old school by using a hard-wired cable. To add insult to injury, Mark had decided he forgot how to have rhythm and kept changing the tempo of the songs. It was pretty common for music to be a little rushed when performing, but if Mark moved any faster, Aiden would have to start singing like a cartoon chipmunk to keep up.

After the horrible attempt at a soundcheck, I slammed my guitar down and headed to the front, where the bar was. The doors had just opened and I figured I would beat the crowd for a drink or two before going on stage tonight.

"What will it be?" Levi asked. He was manning the bar solo tonight. The band drank for free whenever we played. I was going to take full advantage of it tonight. We sounded like shit during setup and it was embarrassing. If these guys didn't start getting their act together, I was going to walk soon.

"Whatever you have on tap is fine." I sat down on a stool at the bar in front of him.

Levi slid the drink over to me and I took a huge gulp down. I began tapping my fingers against the cup as I looked around the bar to check out the crowd starting to come in. The place was filling up pretty quickly. The crowd was larger than I expected, but I noticed it was a lot of the regulars who showed up for anyone. We didn't have much of a following. We were lucky to have even one person watching us.

Two people anyway, Anna was always going to be wherever JD was. They were a package deal like a fucking salt and pepper shaker.

"I think you have a fan." Levi pointed across the room.

My body tensed and I turned to search the growing crowd for the bright blond curls I was anxious to see. Instead, there was the half-dressed purple-haired girl I met at Sean's earlier.

She started walking over to me the second we locked eyes.

"Ezra, right?" She flipped her hair and started her look-at-me routine to try to get my attention.

I nodded at her and downed the rest of my beer. I wanted something a little stronger right now, but I wanted to keep my head in case Riley did show up tonight. I didn't trust what I would do if I drank like I did the first night I met her.

"You know, nice guys offer a girl a drink." She edged in closer to me.

"Well, I'm not fucking nice," I replied.

"I know. Lucky for you, I happen to love assholes." She walked right up to me and stood between my long legs like I had invited her. I had to give her a little credit; this girl was bold.

"I'm sure you do." Her hand was trailing over my thigh and went up to my stomach.

"There he is," Aiden called out as he and Anna walked over towards where I was sitting.

"A shot of tequila." Anna leaned over the bar and hollered to Levi, who went over right away to grab her one. She had a couple of drinks at the house before we left and was already a bit sloppy. She glanced over at the girl standing between my legs and turned her nose up at her. She clicked her tongue and shook her head in disapproval. I never really liked Anna. Even when she was drunk, she thought she was better than everyone else.