Chapter 1.72:

Late? That was what she was so upset about? That was it?

A sudden burst of relief washed over me as I shook my head in disbelief at the overly dramatic blond in front of me. Riley always took everything way too seriously. No matter how small and unimportant it was, my girl always found a way to make it an insurmountable obstacle she couldn't climb over. Every new direction her mind wandered was another end of the world cataclysm raining down.

It was something I still hadn't quite gotten used to about her personality.

The only time she wasn't wound tight was when she was in my bed.

I began to let go of my paranoia-filled meltdown that she had worked me into. I couldn't believe I was about to lose it because my girl wasn't going to show up to work on time. Punctuality was overrated anyway. I showed up late to work almost every day for the last few weeks and JD never fired me for it. It wasn't a big deal.

Even if Riley did get in trouble and lost her job, she could always just come work with me and JD. I'm sure he could be persuaded to give her a job if I worked him over long enough. It would get her away from those guys Brynn said she hung out with from work and keep her close so that I could watch her.

We could spend all day and night together. Then, I would have her all to myself.

It would be a win-win situation for both of us.

While Riley stood in front of me, stuck in her head over the situation, I contemplated different ways I could get her fired. Of course, I would never be able to tell her my plan. I would have to sell her on the idea of working at the music store later on after she calmed down.

In the meantime, my only real dilemma was how I would make sure I got her ass back to the house tonight. I had a few things on my list that I wanted to do to her body before anyone came home. I couldn't have her screaming my name with a full house listening in. That would be a terrible way to break the news to JD that I had been sleeping with his sister and had absolutely no plans of stopping any time soon.

An idea formed in my head and I had the perfect solution to make sure she came back over.

"You didn't tell me you had to work today. I can drive you and then you can come back later tonight." I offered, pretending I would be doing her a favor. If she didn't have her car, she wouldn't have a choice where she ended up tonight.

Riley started to open her mouth and shut it again. Her brows furrowed and she glared at me like I was stupid for suggesting it. Her eyes began watering up and brimmed over to spill out on her cheeks.

Riley was all over the place this morning. She was a bottomless pit of peculiar emotions. It was like she couldn't keep herself afloat. The stomach bug must have taken its toll on her. I should probably just call to tell her boss she wouldn't be in today because she was sick.

Or I could call him and tell him she quit.

"No, it's not work. I missed my period. I just realized it. With everything going on, I haven't even thought about it. I didn't even notice." She blurted out between sobs.

I blinked at her and then blinked again.

Riley wasn't bawling her eyes out over being late for work. It was just her period.

I was glad she wasn't on it. We couldn't have had as nearly as much fun yesterday if she was. That was an odd thing to be this upset over. Girls hated their periods. It just meant that we could keep—

Wait.

What the fuck did she just say?

I dropped her tiny hand out of my grip and stepped back.