Cats And Dogs

Nikki's POV

I'm still worrying over Courtney being pregnant like a dog with a bone. The fear of losing her just won't leave me alone. I want to run my anxiety off. But everyone seems to want to speak with me this afternoon. Jason and Tom have me trapped in the kitchen talking of a pack hunt so we can feed our guests.

Then everyone goes silent as a truck rumbles into our small community. Tom and Jason growl deep in their chest. I can hear the mental growls of the rest of the pack.

"Cat," Tom growls menacingly.

I'm kinda shocked I didn't realize the wolves had a beef with any other shifters. Jason had been calm when he mentioned them. He's not calm now. Nicole jumps from her sit and is headed for the door.

"Nicole no, there is a cat out there." Jason Jumps up and blocks her way.

"There is also a woman in pain out there." She answers annoyed at the man standing in her way.

"Jason's right you need to wait for Jake to see what he wants." Tom joins his friend blocking her path.

"It's obvious what he wants. His human mate is giving birth. He needs a healer. Get out of my way before I bite you." She huffs.

"Fine stay behind us at first." Tom gives in. Jason motions at the door with his head. I forget I'm supposed to be the Alpha of my family sometimes I feel my co-mate has more experience, but Jason continues to push me to take control. I grumble a bit as I take the lead. Yennefer and Courtney hang back on the porch. Neither liked the voice command to stay. Tom can be a high handed bossy motherfucker.

Jake is already outside his brothers at his back.

"Cats are agile fighters." Jason lets me know mentally. I think Nicole is right the only thing this cat wants is aid for his pregnant wife. Nicole sneaks out from behind us and races to the woman leaving Tom and Jason agitated. The woman weeps and whimpers. Blood drips down her legs from under her dress.

"Please help my wife." The cat pleads.

"I will. Bring her inside." She says calmly. I can hear her mind already at work as she delves mentally into the woman's body. She's repairing the damage the baby caused to it's mother's womb before it's father stopped its shift. Oh god Courtney what have I done. I groan. We three follow Nicole back into our home. Jake and his brothers follow too.

"Damn that cat must be desperate to drive right into a community of wolves." Tom whispers to me. Tom and I are starting to bond the mental communication is slow to come though. He likes to keep people out. Last night during Yen's mating run is the only time I've felt his mind open to others.

"What are your names?" Nicole asks softly.

"My wife's name is Sage. My name is Ash." The cat answers.

"Ok Sage my daughter and I are going to help you." She says gently. Jason is relieved to see Nyx. We were all worried Nicole would do the healing on her own and over exsert. I can hear Jake's mind. He is just itching to question Ash. Why he's in our territory? Nicole glares. There would be none of that till the cub was safely born. She closes the door with a resounding click to make herself clear. The door might be hiding the view, but I can still hear her struggle. No matter how much a healer helps. It's still so hard for human woman to give birth to a hybrid. Sometimes they don't make it. I sit on the couch and cover my face in my hands.

Yennefer's POV

"Jake there is no treachery in his mind." I say quietly.

"I forget about your empathy and ability to hear all of us sometimes. I should keep you by my side for interspecies negotiating." Jake chuckles then sighs.