5| WEIRD BEHAVIOR

Ethan's pov

I've been living with Mark for almost a month now.

Mark's house was starting to feel like home. We had gotten pretty used to each other–well I had gotten used to him.

Mark seemed to forget I was in the house sometimes. He still seemed a little..I don't know.. hesitant?

Ever since the day I moved in—when that weird thing happened between Mark and Sean— he seemed nervous about something.

If it was about the room upstairs, he didn't have to worry about that. It was pretty much normalized in my brain now. I barely even noticed it, although when I first moved in..

— FLASHBACK —

I went upstairs, about to finish up the last bit of packing I had, when I noticed the door at the end of the hall.

There weren't any lights above the door, so at night it wasn't even noticable.

Taking a peep in there wouldn't hurt anyone, right?

It was just a look. Plus is it really my fault that Mark was super weird when I asked him about it?

I walked up to the door, twisting the handle.

Locked.

"What.." I said under my breath. Why would the door be locked?

"Ethan?" Mark called from downstairs.

I whipped around, sighing when there wasn't anyone behind me.

I quickly stepped away from the door, just as Mark came up the stairs.

"Yeah?"

Mark cracked a smile, "nothing..just wanted to make sure you were.." he glanced at the door behind me, "..good."

I swallowed, nodding. "Yup! All good here! Just gonna go finish packing."

I could feel Mark's eyes on me as I walked into my room.

Once I could hear him walking down the stairs, I sighed.

"Why would the door be locked?" I said to myself under my breath.

What's in there that I'm not allowed to see? What could be so bad?

Dead bodies? Cloak designs like he said?

Maybe it was some weird kinky stuff in there..like 50 shades of grey! Now that I think about it, he kinda seems like the type to have some weird kink dungeon..

I laughed to myself, shaking my head.

— END OF FLASHBACK —

The basement on the other hand still gave me the creeps.

Just the way Mark acted when he talked about it was weird. He acted as though he was hiding dead bodies down there.

Mark himself was..odd. I would hear him walking around late at night or catch him walking out of the basement as I was getting ready to leave for work.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when the front door opened.

Mark walked in, muttering to himself as he closed the door.

He hadn't noticed me yet since I was sitting on the couch. It was late, so all the lights were out.

"How was your day?" I asked softly. I didn't want to spook him too bad.