18| PURPLE SHIRT

Ethan's pov

I paused the tv, noticing a new episode had just come on. Mark's been in the bathroom for quite a while now.

I got up, knocking on the bathroom door.

"Hey-"

The bathroom door opens, revealing Mark. He looked like he'd been crying or something.

"Hey, you okay?"I asked, concern evident in my voice.

Mark turned to look at the bathroom mirror, then back at me. His eyes widened.

"Is something wrong?"

Mark didn't answer, just continued to stare at me, almost in disbelief.

I put a hand on his shoulder, seemingly snapping him out of his trance.

"Are you okay?"

Mark gave a soft smile, sighing. "Yeah, I'm just..tired. I'll be out in a minute."

I retracted my hand, watching as he closed the door.

After a few minutes Mark came out of the bathroom and got in bed, flicking off the lap that was on his side of the bed.

I could tell something was off with him. Sean did say he passed out earlier. Maybe it has something to do with that?

^^^

The next morning when I woke up, Mark was awake, but he was just sitting on the edge of his bed, staring at the wall.

Whenever I would talk to him he would give short responses or simply not answer at all.

What was wrong with him?

I quickly got dressed before heading next door, knocking on the door.

The door opened, revealing Sean. Something about him seemed a little off.

Maybe it was his eyes?

"Ethan?" Sean rose s brow towards me.

"Yeah, I just..wanted to talk to you about something? Is Tyler here?" I asked.

Sean shook his head, "nah, he went down to the cafeteria. He really loves that food."

Sean let me in, closing the door after me.

I subconsciously looked over their room, noticing something..odd.

There was a smear of red on bathroom door, it was on the door handle as well. The dark red contrasting with the silver.

The room also smelled of bleach. It wasn't strong, but there was enough of it to make me raise a brow.

Even weirder was a balled up piece of purple clothing in the corner of the room. Something about it seemed familiar...

"Is that-"

"You said you wanted to talk?" Sean said, standing infront of me, blocking my view of the curious stain on the door and the purple clothing.

"Um, yeah, it's about Mark," I started.

Sean's eye twitched at that, seemingly more interested in the conversation.

"He seems kind of...off? He went to bed early last night and he's still sleeping. I'm just a little worried because he seems out of it." I explained.

"I thought you might know because you've known him longer. Is this normal?"

Sean says something under his breath before nodding.

"I think I know what's up. Why don't you go meet Tyler down in the cafeteria. I'll call you later."