10| DISTRACTION

Mark's pov

I knocked on Ethan's door, waiting on him to give me permission to come in before I opened the door.

Ethan was sitting on his bed, wrapped up in blankets. His laptop was on his bed playing a random tv show.

"You know you don't have to knock.. I said I'm okay." Ethan said.

"I know, I'm just being cautious is all."

Ethan moved his laptop so I could sit down. I did, distancing myself a bit. I know how it feels to have overly realistic nightmares and usually I don't want anyone near me.

It had been a few hours since Ethan's nightmare. Every hour he seemed to be more and more okay, but whatever it was, it must've been terrifying.

I had this weird feeling in the back of my head that this was somehow my fault.

Maybe Sean was right?

"So..did you need anything?" Ethan said, forcing me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, yeah, right. Uh, I have work soon, but I wasn't sure if you wanted to be in the house alone or not."

Ethan's pov

Oh God no!

The thought of being alone in this house terrified me.

I couldn't just ask Mark to stay with me though. He had more important things to worry about than me.

"No, it's fine. Y-you should go."

Mark gave me a knowing look, "I don't mind staying here. Sean can go a day without me anyways."

"Are you sure? I don't want to be a burden.."

"In no way are you a burden. You can't help the fact that you had a nightmare." Mark reassured me.

Mark abruptly stood up, walking towards the door to my bedroom.

"Where are you going?"

"I need to go check something really quick."

I nodded, shrugging off the blanket that was on my shoulders.

The sun was finally coming out, peeping into my room.

It made me feel slightly better now that my room was brighter.

I heard Mark call my name from downstairs, so I headed down.

He was in the kitchen, pulling out bowls and pans.

"What's going on?" I asked him, looking at all the bowls.

"We are going to bake.. something. I heard it was therapeutic or something like that." Mark said, opening a drawer and pulling out whisks.

"That's actually kinda smart. Why are there so many bowls out though?"

"Because we're going to compete. See who can make the best cake." Mark said, opening the door to the refrigerator.

"Do you even know what ingredients you need?" I asked, chuckling.

"Well, baking a cake can't be that hard. All you need is flour and.. sugar?" Mark said, setting a bag of flour on the counter.

"Want me to find a recipe?"

"Yeah.. I'm starting to realize I know nothing about baking."

I grabbed my phone from my pocket and searched up a recipe.

I listed out the ingredients for Mark.

After we got everything set up, we washed our hands, like every good chef does.