- 45 -

Over a year after Benjamin was born, everything was good. Olivia and Rafael didn't fight as often, and no one ever walked out when they fought. Benjamin didn't have any lasting problems from his dangerous birth. He was a crazy little boy who was attached to his brother at all times. If Ezra was home, he had a little shadow, and he loved it. 

Once Ezra went back to school in September, Olivia was also starting her job as a junior detective with Manhattan Sex Crimes. She had been there before when she was arrested for something she didn't do, and she was hoping the detectives who didn't believe her weren't working there anymore.

"Mama, you look weird." Ezra spoke as he sat with his brother.

"I look weird?" Olivia questioned, and her son nodded.

"Super weird. Where is your uniform?" Ezra asked, as Benjamin looked his mother over.

"Where your tie?" He questioned, as he titled his head to the side. Olivia laughed softly before moving to her sons. She squatted down in front of them before ruffling their curls.

"I don't need to where my uniform anymore. I'm working as a detective now. I don't drive a cop car, and I also don't have to wear a hat anymore." Olivia smiled.

"Is that good?" Ezra questioned, and Olivia nodded.

"Yeah, bud. It's really good. Now, we have to get going. Please go get your shoes on." Olivia smiled.

"Do I have to go to school?" Ezra asked, as he looked down at his little brother.

"You do, and eventually Benny will join us, too. So please, get your shoes on and say goodbye to Benny."

"If you insist."

///

Once Olivia dropped Ezra off at school, and then called to make sure that the sitter got to the house so Rafael to go to work, she headed to her precinct. She was shaking a bit as she got out and stared up. 

"Are you excited?" Fred asked as he came up beside his former partner.

"I'm super fucking nervous." Olivia admitted with a weak laugh.

"You will do great, kid. I know you will." Fred smiled.

"You should have gotten this position." Olivia whispered.

"Nah, this is your position. You earned it. I didn't pass my exam, but that means I can kick a new officer's ass. Just like I did yours."

"They will like me, right?"

"Oh my god, Olivia." Fred laughed before clapping her shoulder. He continued to laugh as he walked into the precinct. Olivia bit her lip before moving up the stairs. She passed by several officers before requesting the elevator.

Once she stepped in, she felt her heart start to race in her chest. She wanted to go back home and spend the day with Benjamin. She wanted to just be a stay at home mom, because this promotion was scary for her.

"Hey, move it!" Someone yelled, as they shoved past Olivia and onto the floor. Olivia stumbled out after him before moving to the side of the hall.

She pulled her phone out before quickly dialing her husband's phone number.

"Rafael Barba."

"I'm going to throw up." Olivia whimpered into the phone.

"Liv? What's happening?"

"I'm freaking out! I can't be a detective! I could barely be a cop!" Olivia cried.

"Hey, relax! They are going to love you, and you'll do a great job! Before you know it, it will be like this place is your home. I'll have to bring the boys up because you will be stuck at the precinct all the time."

"Do you think I'll get in trouble?"

"For what?"

"I don't know! For getting attached? Maybe when we decide to have another kid? Uh... what about I shoot someone on accident!?"

"Oh, honey. You are great with your gun and are extremely careful. We are waiting until Benjamin is two before trying again... and you will get attached, but it is bound to happen."

"I'm supposed to be in at eight... but I'll be starting earlier after today. Can we-"

"We will figure out everything as we go."

///

Olivia eventually got brave enough and went into the squadroom. She was nearly run over by a few people as she made her way towards the back of the squadroom.

"Captain Cragen?" Olivia asked.

"Yeah, what can I help you with?" He sighed.

"Sorry to bother you... but I'm Olivia Barba. Your new detective."

"Olivia Barba." He repeated to himself over and over again. Then he nodded.

"Yeah, I knew I was getting a new one. I just forgot what day." He spoke, before looking up at Olivia.

"It's okay, sir. I just needed to come and see you, get my gun and new badge. Along with everything else."

"Yup. So, here is your gun and badge. Do you have cuffs?"

"Not yet. I had them, but I turned them in when I got promoted."

"I'll find you some. Until then, go pick an empty desk and just fill these out." Cragen spoke as he quickly started shoving papers to Olivia. Then he tossed her a pen before fanning her from his office.

The overwhelmed feeling grew once again as she sat down at an empty desk and filled out paperwork. 

"I'm sorry, but you can't sit there." A man spoke, and Olivia lifted her eyes quickly before realizing that Detective Elliot Stabler was standing in front of her.

"Actually, I can. I was told to grab an empty desk, and this one is empty." Olivia spoke before capping her pen and standing.

"Honey-"

"For one, don't honey me. Also, I'm Detective Olivia Barba. You arrested me a few years ago and didn't believe what I was saying. It's nice to see you again, and I hope you become less of an asshole as we work more together. Because I refuse to take your shit." Olivia grinned.

Elliot's eyes went wide as he stared at her. Olivia continued to smile as she watched Elliot squirm a bit.

"Yeah, it's nice to see you. Um, so I don't know who your partner will be... but this desk works." He spoke as he stumbled over his words. Olivia thanked him as he walked away before sitting back down.

She was proud of herself, and she couldn't wait to prove Elliot wrong.