- 48 -

Olivia got home late, and she didn't even feel like going upstairs to sleep beside her husband. That was honestly the last thing she wanted to do, especially since she was so angry right now.

"Hi, Mama." Ben whispered, as he stood in front of his mother and placed his little hand on her cheek. Olivia opened her eyes slowly before smiling at her son.

"Hi, Benny. What are you doing up?" Olivia yawned.

"The sun is up." He replied before climbing onto the couch. Olivia helped him onto her body, and she caressed his hair as he laid against her chest.

"You are always up when the sun is." Olivia sighed softly. She kissed the top of her son's head, before seeing as Rafael came downstairs.

"When did you get home?" He asked.

"Super late. I didn't want to wake you, so I just crashed down here."

"Are you on call or did the case end up closed already?" Rafael questioned.

"It's still going, but I am not allowed to work on it. I'll tell you later, once Benny is napping."

///

Olivia spent the day with her son and husband. She took Ben with her to the grocery store, and then to drop Ezra's lunch box off at school, since he had forgotten it that morning.

"So our kid is sleeping, now you owe me some information." Rafael spoke as he sank down beside his wife on the back porch.

"I can't really talk about the case. It's against the rules." Olivia replied.

"Don't use that excuse against me, Liv. Now, what is this case about? Because if you got kicked off of it, it must be big."

"Elliot called me in because we had a nine-year-old that had stabbed her mother three times in her chest. Elliot wanted me to talk to her, because he said I knew her. Sophie was the girl that stabbed her mother. My mother. The ADA got angry because I was letting my baby sister sleep in the cribs, and she said some other things that really pissed me off."

"Is Serena still alive? I will be Sophie's lawyer, Liv. I will get her off, because no matter why she did it... Serena deserved it. I know she did."

"You want to be my sister's lawyer? Rafael, this case could ruin your reputation."

"I don't care if it does, Liv. She's nine, and she defended herself against her abuser."

///

Olivia went back into the precinct with her husband beside her. Elliot stood up as soon as he saw her, and he quickly went to push her from the room.

"If Cabot or Cragen see you, you will lose your badge. Everything you have worked through will be for nothing. So please, Olivia, go home."

"Elliot, this is my husband. He is going to be acting as counsel for Sophie Benson." Olivia spoke.

"You hired her a lawyer? That is a big deal." Elliot whispered.

"He volunteered, Elliot. She's my baby sister, and I know what she has gone through. Our mother is a piece of shit and she deserved to be stabbed. No matter what Cabot says, she hasn't had to experience the wrath of Serena."

"Uh, Elliot Stabler. I'm Olivia's partner." Elliot spoke as he turned and looked at Rafael.

"Rafael Barba. May I see my client?"

"Yes, of course. This way."

Olivia followed Elliot and Rafael towards the interrogation room. Sophie was sitting in the corner, rocking back and forth with her legs held tightly to her chest. She was so scared, and Olivia couldn't believe that her co-workers were being this hard on a little girl. Or if it was all the ADA's idea.

"Barba, you need to go home." Cragen frowned as soon as he saw his detective.

"I'm not here to work, Captain." Olivia replied.

"Then why are you here?"

"She doesn't have a lawyer, so I got her one. She needs a lawyer, because I sure as hell know you never offered her one. She's nine. So this is her lawyer." Olivia spoke, pointing at her husband.

"Of course it's Rafael Barba." Alex spoke as she came into the viewing room.

"Nice to see you, Alexandra. You do realize that you are required to have a guardian or lawyer present while interrogating a child? I will be reporting you to the board, unless you allow me to talk to her right now. Do you understand?"

"She stabbed her mother three times, Rafael! Don't you think that she's guilty? We can charge her as a child, but then change her sentence when she becomes an adult. Okay?"

"No, not okay. I want everyone to leave that room, and I will talk to her. Now." Rafael ordered.

///

Rafael sat beside Sophie on the floor. He gently held her hand, as she told him exactly what happened. She told him where all of her mother's drugs were, and who the men were who touched her. She gave Rafael information because he was being kind and understanding with her, while Alex insisted that the detectives be as ruthless as possible.

By the time Rafael had gained information, he pulled Sophie onto his lap and held her as she fell back asleep.

"Send Fin and Elliot to go and search Serena's apartment. If you find the drugs and the names of the men, then you can arrest them and figure out something easier to charge Sophie with. Or just let her get help. I'm sure that she could use therapy." Olivia spoke.

"She's violent." Alex huffed.

"What is your problem, Cabot?! Why do you seem so adamant to make her rot in jail? Is it because you think this can be a slam dunk case so you don't ruin your perfect record?!" Olivia yelled.

Alex faltered before turning and stomping out. Olivia shook her head before turning and looking at her captain.

"I'll send Fin and Elliot to the apartment with CSU. They can comb it over and see if they can find the drugs and the contact names. Okay?"

"Okay. And I don't want her working this case, Captain. You saw how she reacted when I said those things. Sophie isn't a hurt little girl to her, she is a win. That is more important to Alex than making sure Sophie doesn't get shoved into a jail cell for the rest of her life."