thirty-nine.

❏— Chapter Thirty-nine
˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳ Life

1 year later...

"How the hell can you be late when we literally just live upstairs? I really should hire a part-timer to help me out here."

"Good morning to you too, hyung," Soobin said, fighting off a yawn as he began making himself a cup of coffee.

Minhyuk grabbed his brother's shoulders, forcing him to face him.

"Tell me honestly, have you been sleeping well?" Minhyuk asked, moving closer to Soobin to inspect his face while tiptoeing because the latter grew a few inches more the past year which frustrated the older. Life's so unfair sometimes.

Soobin chuckled, pushing his brother lightly. "I told you, hyung. I've been sleeping well, I was just watching a movie that I didn't notice the time."

"Mmmh 'kay. By the way, Beomgyu called me since you weren't answering your phone." Minhyuk informed, resuming to wiping the counter before they have to open their coffee shop in 10 minutes.

With the money that Minhyuk had manage to save and with the help of Nayeon --- although it was difficult at first to convince Minhyuk to accept it because his pride won't allow him to accept any money from her --- they managed to open up their own business. It was a process of trial and error at first, they had to do everything by themselves but nevertheless they got through the slump and are now managing a stable business.

"Oh shit, I forgot to charge my phone last night!" Soobin grumbled, lightly hitting the side of his head for forgetting something as simple as that.

"How many times do I have to tell you to not run up the stairs? Jesus! You're gonna break your leg one day, I'm telling you..." Soobin can hear his brother's voice fading out as he hurriedly climbed up the stairs to look for his phone.

After lifting his covers and tossing it off to the floor, he managed to find his phone resting underneath his bed. He literally had no idea how it got there, he probably kicked it or something when he was asleep so good thing the screen doesn't have any more new cracks.

Grabbing his charger from his desk, he plugged his phone before turning it on to look at the messages and missed calls from Beomgyu who took it upon himself to act like a clingy girlfriend, wanting to know about his whereabouts literally every damn minute.

Opening the latest message, it was just Beomgyu telling him that he will come and pick him up because they haven't seen each other for like a week now since they both had to focus on their finals which thankfully ended wonderfully for Soobin.

His first year as a Veterinary Medicine student was quite difficult, he didn't know a thing about the course or how to take care of any animal, well maybe except for a cat because of Lucy. Speaking of Lucy, their grandmother managed to send Lucy to them with the help of one of the villagers who came to the city.

Soobin can remember whining about it because who was supposed to keep his grandmother company then? But much to their surprise, Lucy brought along three kittens one rainy night which his grandmother had no idea where she got them from but they are now under her care.

It was a difficult year indeed... every day was unpredictable for him... there would be happy days after he just aced a quiz or a performance task but there would also be days that were just too tough and sad. Days when he feel like doing nothing but cry.

When he decided to follow his dream, he had the initial thought that everything would be better but he wasn't expecting it to be that hard... he wasn't expecting it to be so lonely at times.