02: grow up ✩

"There's a storm coming,"

--☆--☆--☆--

"If I ask you something will you promise not to laugh?" Sarah asked as placed a couple of cards down on the table.

The two kook princesses were sitting outside by the pool playing a game of go fish after an afternoon swim. Of course they knew that a hurricane would be coming around in the evening, but it was clear neither of them cared. A few workers would occasionally walk past the two girls, all of them rolling their eyes at how oblivious the two of them were. Neither of them noticed anything was wrong, or that they were being insensitive to the workers who were trying to make sure Sarah's house wouldn't get damaged during the storm. They just continued their card game, unaware of the world around them.

"I can't promise anything," Emerson claimed as she looked over her cards once more, "but you can ask anyway."

"Do you ever think about our futures?" Sarah asked. Sarah watched as Emerson's eyes stayed on her cards, she didn't even look like she was thinking the question over. Sarah half expected Emerson to make a joke and move to a new topic. For the past year Emerson has been trying out the 'live in the moment' lifestyle. She stopped thinking before she made a choice, she just acted. Dancing on tables, drinking way too much, hooking up with pogues, you name it, Emerson did it. She didn't even know why, she just needed to let off some steam.  But now, after months of making bad decisions, Emerson finally seemed like herself again.

"I guess," Emerson answered somewhat honestly. The truth was that she always thought about the future. "Do you?"

"All the time," She admitted. "I constantly think about how we're only sixteen and our whole lives have already been planned out for us," Sarah began. "Nothing's our choice, if you think about it. Our parents had everything lined up for us since the day we were born. They know what college is best for us, which careers they want us to have, I wouldn't be surprised if they had our husbands picked out."

"They have my husband picked out," Emerson reminded her, as she gave Sarah a knowing look.

"It's not just that Em. Nothing has ever been our choice, when was the last time you did something just because you could?"

Emerson knew that every word Sarah said was true, but she hated thinking about it. She wanted to believe that her life was her own. That her decisions could be completely her own, but that wasn't true. She'd just be lying to herself. For a long time her parents let her make her own decisions, but they were done with that now.