19: kook family ✩

"Went for the Hail Mary

"Went for the Hail Mary."

--☆--☆--☆--

The two kook princesses were sitting at the table in Sarah's house working on some SAT practice, requested by Ward. He insisted it would help them when the test finally came around but until then it was just an annoying assignment that needed to be done.

Neither of them noticed when the Thornton boy showed up at the house. It wasn't until he opened the side door that they finally looked up from their books. Sarah didn't say anything as he closed the door while Emerson completely avoided his gaze.

"Hey," Topper said, but neither girl responded. "Hey, how's John B? Is he- is he doin' all right?"

"Like you give a shit," Sarah spoke.

"You realize I did not push him," Topper insisted, even though no one believed him. "He lost his balance and fell."

"Don't lie."

"He fell against the rail. Not my fault."

"That is messed up," Sarah scoffed. Emerson knew where the conversation was headed and that she probably shouldn't be there while it happened.

"You okay?" She whispered to Sarah, who nodded. Emerson shot a quick glance at Topper, warning him not to do anything stupid before she walked away.

Sarah stood up from her seat and walked away, Topper staying a few steps away. "You forget about us, like- Midsummers was supposed to be our- our coming out party," He reminded her but Sarah just shook her head at him. "That was supposed to be something special, right?"

"What does it matter, Topper?" Sarah said, raising her voice slightly. "We're in high school. It's not like we're getting married."

"I don't care if we're in high school!" He shouted back. "I love you!"

"No, you don't, Topper!"

"I love you!" 

"You love the idea of me. You love being seen with me. But you don't love me," She told him.

Topper scoffed, "You have no idea what I'm feeling. You have no clue. What about- what about this summer? Right?" He asked her. "This summer was supposed to be legendary."

"I don't care anymore, Topper," Sarah said as she walked away from him. "I can't be with you. Not after last night."

"Oh after last night?" He asked. "You wanna talk about last night?" Topper began following her again as Sarah made her way closer to the door.

"Sure."

"Did you forget the part where you cheated on me? Huh?" He shouted, his voice echoing through the house. "Did you forget about that?" He asked, pointing his finger in Sarah's face. "You're a slut! You know that? You're a slut!"