11: a summer movie ✩

"Screw you Kook!"

"Screw you Kook!"

--☆--☆--☆--

"This color always looks great on you," Addison said as she presented another dress to her daughter, "but this one matches Rafe's suit."

"How do you know what Rafe's suit looks like?" Emerson asked as she continued to look at her reflection in the mirror.

"I had Rose show me a picture," Addison told her. "So what do you think?"

Emerson didn't respond right away, her focus still on the reflection of this dress she had on. The young kook always used to look forward to Midsummers, she used to count down the days in her calendar, but this year something was different. She wished that she didn't have to keep up an act just to keep her parents happy, she wished that she could just be happy. She wanted to know that her parents would support her no matter what she did, but that just wasn't going to happen.

"Honey?" Addison asked, pulling Emerson out of her own head.

"Yeah sorry?" Emerson shook her head as she forced herself to pay attention.

"Like I was saying the silver is always a classic choice but I'm thinking we should do something special this year-"

"Whatever," Emerson said, her tone shocking her mother. "I mean whatever you want is fine with me."

"Sweetie," Addison said, her voice more stern than Emerson had ever heard it, "I don't think you understand what's at risk here."

"My sanity..." Emerson muttered under her breath.

"Don't be so dramatic," Addison scoffed. "We all need to make sacrifices for the greater good."

Emerson turned around to face her mother, a teary expression on her face. "Mom, I don't want to do this," Emerson said, tears threatening to leave her eyes.

"Excuse me?" Addison turned to look at her daughter with a shocked look on her face. "It doesn't matter if you don't want to do this. Our family needs this. Your father needs this," She added, knowing that Emerson would do just about anything to make Carter happy.

Emerson looked down, quickly wiping her eyes. When she looked up there was a smile on her face, "You said there was another dress."

"Good choice honey."

Addison excused herself from the room while Emerson changed into the other dress. The dress was a light blue color, the same color as Rafe's suit. Emerson took in her reflection once more trying to make a decision about the dress before her mother came back in.

Right before she could call Addison back the sound of one of their phones going off caught the young kook's attention. Emerson picked up her mother's phone, her eyes immediately widening when she saw the texts left.