27: rhodes siblings ☆

"I can do some damage, huh?"

--☆--☆--☆--

Emerson knocked lightly on the door to the spare room in John B's house. Ever since he got out of the hot tub JJ wanted to be alone. Emerson knew it was probably a good plan to respect his privacy, but it's been two hours and she wanted to talk to him, she needed to talk to him.

Kiara and Pope had been talking about the gold for a majority of the time until they eventually fell asleep. Emerson tried to sleep, she really did, but her mind was racing. She kept thinking about JJ, then her father, then JJ's father, and back to JJ again. The Rhodes girl had absolutely no idea what to do or how she could help him, but she wanted him to know that she's still here.

When JJ didn't respond she slowly pushed the door open. She knocked on the door again when she saw JJ sitting on the bed. He turned around, his eyes locked with hers for a moment. It was clear to Emerson that JJ continued to cry even after closing himself off from the rest of the group.

"Hey..." she said softly, not wanting to startle him any more than she already had.

"Hi," JJ turned away from her. He didn't want her to see him cry, he didn't want her to think he was weak or pathetic for crying in front of her.

For his whole life JJ had been told that he wasn't good enough and that he didn't deserve anything. The man that was supposed to take care of him and look out for him failed him. Luke Maybank failed his son. JJ knew it, Luke knew it, everyone knew it, and now Emerson knew it too.

"You feeling any better?" She asked. She knew it was a stupid question, but she couldn't think of anything else to say to him. All she wanted was to help him, but she doesn't know how. Emerson never had to deal with something like this before.

In her world, the kook world, parents didn't hit their children. Sure, it wasn't all sunshines and rainbows in the Figure Eight but at least there weren't any abusive parents. All the kooks thought they had it bad, they didn't seem to understand that there were people on the island who had it ten times worse than they did.

Emerson didn't want to admit it, but she was one of those kooks. She had been raised to think her family was the center of the universe, even though it obviously wasn't true. All kooks thought they deserved all the attention until something went wrong for them, then they didn't hesitate to blame their problems on the pogues, it was easier after all.

"JJ?" Emerson questioned when the blond pogue didn't answer her. JJ found it odd how soft her voice was. It was so calming and relaxing, he'd never heard anything like it.

"I'm fine," He answered. It was obvious that he was lying but Emerson refrained herself from saying anything that might make him upset again. She thought it was ironic how neither of them could answer the question 'how are you' honestly. "Just me being a little emotional," He said, trying to laugh it off. "Sorry you had to see it."