31: mama's mad ☆

"I'm not used to caring."

--☆--☆--☆--

"Good news for residents of Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area..." The sound of sirens dragged the attention of the pogues away from the radio as they all ducked down to avoid being seen. "...should be functional within 24 hours."

Once the pogues knew they were out of harm's way they decided laying low was the best plan. None of them were optimistic but they still tried to hold out hope that nothing bad would happen to John B. They had been sitting in Kiara's car all night, waiting for some sign that John B was in the clear, but so far they got nothing.

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from-" The radio cut off when Kiara hit the button, making the car silent again.

"Let's game this out," JJ suggested. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but..." He sighed, glancing at Kiara, Pope, and Emerson for obvious reasons. "... who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us?" He asked.

"He's got a point," Emerson halfheartedly admitted. No one will believe that Rafe Cameron killed anyone. Why would they?"

"Because he's a psychopath?" Kiara questioned.

Emerson shrugged her shoulders and even though it hurt the pogues she was right. When John B first broke the news to the Rhodes girl she found herself questioning if he was telling the truth. She knew Rafe, the kooks knew Rafe, he wasn't a killer. 

"So the accuser is a bigshot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B. Who is... pretty much a homeless 16 year old boy at the moment."

"Thanks," John B replied, not looking at his best friend.

"Shit," Pope sighed as he brought his hand up to his head.

"Okay, man. Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option," JJ told them. "What other option do you have?"

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit," John B groaned. "Sarah will bail me out."

"She did witness the whole thing," Kiara agreed.

"Thank you," John B nodded.

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope asked then all eyes were on Emerson, who was still sitting in the trunk of the car. The brunette shrunk down, not knowing the answer. Emerson knew that Sarah and Rafe had a rocky relationship, to say the least, but they're still family.