12: natural born enemies ✩

"You shouldn't have done that

"You shouldn't have done that."

--☆--☆--☆--

"Em! Em!" she could hear Hayden shouting for her attention but she didn't give it to him. She simply rolled over in her bed, trying to sleep through the day. "Emerson!" He shouted as he came running into her room. "There you are, I have to tell you something."

"Go away," she groaned into her pillow.

"But E-"

"Hayden no offense but I really don't care," Emerson told her little brother, still not lifting her head off her pillow.

"So you don't want to hear how Shoupe came to arrest Pope or how JJ took the fall for him?" Hayden asked.

Emerson sat up with her eyebrows raised, "Sit," she said and Hayden sat down on the edge of her bed.

The kook princess listened intently as her younger brother told her all about the events that had taken place earlier that day in Heyward's shop. The whole time he was speaking Emerson's head was spinning. Rafe and Topper had told her that the pogues sank the boat without cause but Hayden accidentally let it slip that it was because the two of them had jumped Pope while the three of them were at the golf course.

Emerson felt sick. She couldn't help but blame herself. If she hadn't walked off then maybe she could've tried to defend Pope. Maybe if she had been there then Rafe would've ignored him.

"So now JJ's in jail, I guess," Hayden shrugged as he finished telling the story.

"Oh shit," She let out a breath. "I have to go," Emerson announced as she got out of her bed.

"What? Where are you going?" Hayden asked as he watched his older sister run to her closet. She didn't answer, giving the young boy an answer but he didn't want to believe it. He didn't want to believe that his sister was going to ruin everything for a pogue.  "No. Em you're with Rafe now."

"Rafe and I aren't technically dating," Emerson said from inside her closet.

"That's bullshit and you know it!" Hayden yelled at her, not knowing what to do with his sister who had clearly gone off the rails. "If you go see him it'll ruin everything. Not to mention Rafe will be furious."

"Then don't tell him," Emerson shrugged after emerging from her closet with actual clothes on, instead of the pajamas she had been wearing. "I just to talk to him . It doesn't mean anything so there's nothing you need to tell Rafe."

"You and I both know that's not true," Hayden said, standing up from his seat on Emerson's bed. "And how are you even planning on getting in there? He's in a jail cell."