23: golden sunrise ☆

"You drive me crazy too

"You drive me crazy too."

--☆--☆--☆--

By the time the twinkie made it back to Figure Eight the sun was just beginning to rise over the marsh. The sky would soon be tinted a vibrant orange color, but for now it was still a dark blue.

Sarah and John B were the first to leave the van when they got out at Tanneyhill, while Pope and Kiara remained at the chateau to try and get some sleep before the sun came up. Which left Emerson and JJ, who were both currently sitting in Emerson's driveway.

JJ had expected her to get up and leave the second he parked the car, but she didn't, she just sat there staring up at her house. He didn't want to ask her to leave but he did want to know what she was thinking about. The two of them had been sitting in silence for six minutes and it was slowly driving JJ insane. He needed her to say something, anything, he just couldn't handle the silence any longer.

"Emerson?" He spoke quietly and she let out a quiet hum but her focus remained on her house. "What are we doing?" He asked, "I mean... why are we just sitting here?"

"I don't want to go inside," Emerson mumbled under her breath, like she was ashamed to admit the truth.

"Why not?" JJ asked in confusion.

"By now they all know that I left Rafe at Midsummers, and my mom... my mom is going to be so disappointed in me, again," Emerson answered, still not looking at JJ. "I've disappointed all of them."

Emerson knew what was coming, the second she walks into that house the feeling of freedom she's adopted will disappear. Her mother will attempt everything she knows to deprogram her daughter and make her a Rhodes again.

JJ didn't need her to say anything else, he knew the feeling of not wanting to go home. He had felt the pure panic that Emerson was feeling and he didn't want her to go through it alone. "Okay," was all he said before he started the van.

"Wha- Where are we going?" Emerson asked, finally turning away from her house to face JJ.

"Does it matter?"

Emerson sighed, thinking about the question. "No, I guess it doesn't," She answered with a smile. She couldn't help but look back at her house one more time and for the first time in her life she wished that she'd never have to go back.

JJ smiled at Emerson briefly as continued driving down the road away from Rhodes' residence. The wind blew the van as they continued driving down the quiet streets of Figure Eight. The air was warm and salty, the sun was ready to show itself as light began to shine in the sky.

It wasn't long before JJ pulled the Twinkie into a spot by the beach. He parked the van then got out leaving Emerson in her seat. Her eyes moved to follow him as he walked to the backseat and opened the side door.