13: a treasure hunt ✩

"well that was fun

"well that was fun."

--☆--☆--☆--

"First I almost get strangled by kooks, and now I'm on the hook for thirty grand," JJ said as he ranted to John B who had mysteriously disappeared for an entire day. "We should just dip."

"Where do you wanna go? Hm?" John B asked his best friend who was covered with new cuts and bruises after spending some time in a jail cell.

"Yucatan."

"Yucatan," John B scoffed.

"No, I'm dead serious right now. Surf all day, and then we can just live off lobsters we catch with our bare hands."

"You just wanna leave 'cause you got your ass beat?"

"You didn't see the photos," JJ said defensively, referring to the pictures of the recently murdered square groupers that had been chasing the group of pogues.

"Think about it. They're willing to kill for the gold, then it's gotta be out there," John B said, a little too excitedly.

"Have you lost your mind?" JJ shouted angrily as he shoved his best friend backwards. "One hundred years, man. One hundred years, people have been tryin' to find this Royal Merchant, and no one succeeded!" JJ yelled, his voice loud amongst the quiet trees. "And you think you are gonna be the one that actually finds it? When will you get it in your thick skull? If you keep goin' down this road, you're gonna end up just like your dad!"

John B suddenly shoved JJ backwards, his words angering him. "I can't give up, JJ! The last time I saw that dude, we got in an argument, and then he took all of our rent money and dipped for this Royal Merchant, " John B clenched his jaw as he stepped away from JJ. "And then I told him he was a shit father, and you know how the rest of the story goes."

JJ sighed quietly, "Dude, that wasn't your fault."

"It doesn't matter whose fault it is, JJ!" John B shouted. "Do you not understand that? I can't give up on the hunt, man. I don't care who's out there, who's gonna try to kill us. Do you understand that?" John B desperately needed someone to understand why this treasure hunt meant so much to him. It wasn't for the money or the glory, it was for his father, he needed to finish what Big John couldn't. "Look, I've got a plan. You comin' or what?"

"What's your plan?" JJ asked him.

John B smiled before walking over to his backpack pulling out the files he and Sarah had found at Chapel Hill. "This letter, it's a decoy," John B said, holding up one of the photocopies.

"Decoy?" 

"It's a fake," John B explained, ignoring how JJ pretended that he knew what decoy meant. "Sarah said then when she moved in her family gave most of the stuff to the archives," He continued. "However the woman said about a week ago a man came in and checked out some of the documents. The letter left behind looks real but someone swapped it out."