35: tropical depression ☆

"We lost them

"We lost them."

--☆--☆--☆--

None of the pogues knew what to say now that John B was gone. They all knew it had to be this way, that he had to get off the island, but none of them realized just how much it would hurt to see him leave.

JJ stepped away from the dock with Emerson following close behind him. She was probably the only one who didn't feel like she had gotten punched in the gut when the Phantom drove away. She was sad to see John B leave but she also hadn't known him as long as the rest of the pogues did, she was still the new kid in the group.

They could hear the sound of sirens slowly growing louder as Shoupe and his crew got closer, thinking they were on the verge of apprehending John B. Emerson reached forward putting her hand on JJ's shoulder. He turned to look at her and she could see the tears forming in his eyes.

"JJ..."

"I can't lose him," was all JJ could bring himself to say. "He's my brother."

Emerson didn't know what to say. She couldn't promise that they'd see John B again, she couldn't promise that everything will be okay. So instead of trying to say something she just wrapped her arms around him.

"I'm sorry," He whispered into her ear.

"For what?" She asked.

"That I couldn't protect you," He answered as his hands lightly brushed against where Rafe's hand had been. "I should've protected you."

"You don't have to protect me," She told him.

"Yes, I do. You're supposed to protect the people you lo-" JJ stopped mid sentence but they both knew what he was about to say. While Emerson had a small smile on her face, JJ looked completely terrified.

"JJ-"

The brunette was cut off when the sound of the sirens got progressively louder. JJ turned around, just in time to see Kiara pulling away from Pope.

"About time," Emerson whispered to herself.

"Hey, guys," JJ called out when the sirens got louder, "I'm sorry to ruin the party, but, uh, we gotta go right now." Kiara and Pope both turned around and the four of them were ready to make a run for it. "Come on!"

Unfortunately before they were able to leave Shoupe and the SBI pulled up with their guns drawn. Emerson and Kiara were the first to put their hands up while JJ and Pope seemed a little resistant.

"Move!" One of the SBI men yelled.

"JJ," Emerson said, hoping he'd put his hands up.

The SBI men walked closer to the four teenagers, guns still drawn. "Move! Hands up! Hands up!"