20: masterminds ✩

"Friends for now"

"Friends for now"

--☆--☆--☆--

When the kook princesses were feeling down there were two things that always made them feel better: stealing beer from their parent's refrigerators and watching Gilmore Girls reruns on Netflix. And on this day both girls were in need of a pick me up.

Sarah was waiting for John B to make a decision if she could be involved in his treasure hunt. Of course she wanted John B to pick her, she was his girlfriend after all. But then there was Kiara, badmouthing her every chance she got. Sarah is a strong girl and she can deal with Kiara's constant need to shit talk her. The two of them were friends, now they're not. But Sarah wasn't prepared to let the girl get territorial over her boyfriend.

Then there was Emerson, who had been putting up a strong front since they left the chateau. But in her case she needed to figure out if she could trust JJ after finding out what he said about her. Part of her wished she could hate JJ for what he said but she couldn't. All she could do was think about him. But it wasn't allowed. If her mother found out she slept with a pogue she'd be sent off to boarding school until college then she'd marry Rafe, just like her mother planned. Then her night with JJ will only be a memory.

"Aw see, that's the kind of love I want," Emerson pointed out as they watched Jess give Rory an umbrella inside Luke's diner.

"We all need a Jess in our lives," Sarah commented as she took a sip from her beer bottle.

Emerson went to take another sip only to remember she had finished her beer a couple of minutes ago. "I'm out, do you need anything?" She asked as he picked up a couple of empty bowls that used to be filled with popcorn.

"Nope," Sarah replied, holding up her bottle which is still half full.

"Pause it before the theme song comes on," Emerson said, pointing a finger at Sarah before getting up and going to the kitchen. 

She tossed her bottle into the recycling bin before walking over to the fridge. Just as she opened it a knock came from the window beside her. She turned and saw JJ and John B waving to get her attention from outside. Emerson groaned before walking to the door and opening it. 

"What do you guys want?" She asked.

"We want to apologize," John B said, taking the lead. "Is Sarah here?"

"Living room," Emerson answered before John B snuck into the living room. Emerson looked at JJ realizing the two of them had been left alone.

"Listen Emerson," JJ began, "I'm sorry about what I said. They were just on my back about the whole thing and I panicked."

"I get it," Emerson told him, which made a confused expression appear on the boy's face. "If Scarlett or Topper had asked me what I was doing with you I probably would've reacted the same way," She continued. This was one of the few things Emerson had come to realize while she thought about her situation. "Yeah it hurt like hell to know you said that..."