PROLOGUE

Like a prodigy from heaven, the rain finally fell. Quenching the craving of a desiccated harren.

The tintinnabulation from the town bell reverberated, almost louder than the storm which seemed to be the running woman's heart.

She clutched to a clump of clothing in her hands. The sole of her Mary Janes splashing the puddles and dampening the edge of her long skirt.

She couldn't tell if it were blood or water that was trailing down her sides.

She felt light-headed and muddled.
Her knuckles met the oak wood door harshly.

A thin man with sallow skin answered the door. His dark and bitter gaze fell on the damp woman, instantly recognising her he let her in.

" I... I didn't know where else to go"

He guided her to the leather couch and settled her down.

"Severus" her voice barely audible, "Death Eaters...they,"

"They what?" His tone was gloomy but there was a hidden hint of worry in them.

"They wanted the... They were going to....kill her..please.."
She positioned the clump of clothing near her.

It was a child.

She was slumbering.

"Please.... take care of...her... It's my child ...her" she winced, lolling her head back.

"Clovis," he patted her on the cheek, "Who's the father?"

Her tears fell from their threshold.
"You," she chocked, gripping her waist.
Blood smeared over her bodice and hand.
"You're bleeding, did they do this,"

She nodded in response not being able to answer at the excruciating pain.

"Don't worry-"
She halts his actions, "no it's... too late, take good care of her Sev, promise me,"

He was hesitant to answer.
" Promise me?" She pleaded.
"I promise."

Her eyes flutter shut, her limp body falling into Severus's arms, not before a soft thank you left her lips.

He rested Clovis on the sofa and picked up the child.
She resembled him so vastly.

"Verena," he caressed the child's cheek, "Verena Snape,"