Ingenii.

The cobblestoned wizarding alley has a crowd of its own.

The enthusiastic attires gleam in the daylight and the people stride like captivating schools of fish.

There is chitchat between salespeople and customers, old pals catching up, young companions created.

It's energetic for sure, but the hustle and bustle bring vitality to the area.

Inward the alley is an accumulation of restaurants, stores, and other sensations.

"Can I buy a pet this year?" Verena pleaded, chewing a choco ball.

"It's a tremendous responsibility,"

"I can tolerate it,"

"It's going to be noisy and a-"

"I want that one," she pointed at The Little Owl striking from the display at Eeylops Owl Emporium.

"Please. Please. Please. Please. Please." She punctuated each word by tugging his cloak.

"Alright," he sighed.

He watched as she sprints to the shop a small smile arising on his face.

She was beginning to be more like Clovis day by day, and less like his gloomy and dark self.

She was developing and evolving.

"Did you know that this breed of owl is the kind that was very closely associated with Athena,"

"Goddess of wisdom?" Snape mused as he went through the books in Flourish and Blotts trying to ignore the squealing of women as they crowded near Lockhart's stage performance.

"Yes, I'm going to name him Ingenii"

"Which means ability, in Latin am I right?"

"Yes, where are we going next?"

"To Mr Mulpepper's Apothecary,"

"Father,"

"Yes,"

"The Malfoys are here,"

That seized his attention. Mr Malfoy and Mr Weasely we're quarrelling.

To no avail, Molly and the assistant executive of Flourish and Blotts requested for the men to stop disputing.

Eventually, Hagrid segregates them.

In the commotion, Verena's scrutiny was on Lucius's hand as he slipped a battered ebony book into the youngest Weasely's cauldron.

"You saw that, right?"

"Yes, let's go, our business here is done,"

As they were about to exit,

"Severus," Lucius's frigid voice greeted from behind.

Snape scrunch his eyes shut, a sneer appearing on his face halting his steps.

"Lucius," he turned to meet his face.

"What a coincidence to meet you here?"

From what I presume we all are here to purchase items for another new year at Hogwarts, it is anything but a coincidence, you dumb f-

Snape faced Verena halting her thoughts.

"Verena, I see you have gotten into Slytherin,"

No, I got into Horned Serpent.

She just nodded monotonously.

"I'm sure you and Draco are close colleagues,"

Yeah right.

She caught her fathers glance, signalling to choose her words carefully.

"Yes, we are decent friends,"

Draco rushed in their direction and curtailed beside his father, his face contorting into a look of loathing.

He glanced at Snape and greeted him, "Good afternoon, Mr Snape,"

Lucius jabbed Draco by his calf with his cane
"Good afternoon Ve-"

He jabbed him again.
"Good afternoon, Miss Verena,"

Verena bit back a smile.
"Good afternoon to you too,"

"Well, I'll see you around," Lucius walked out of the shop.

"See you around Snape,"
His shoulder brushed against hers roughly as he strode past to catch with his father.

As they were out of view Verena mumbled, "He's up to something,"

"He's always up to something, let's go,"

Ingenii hooted back in agreement.

Unbeknown to Verena Lucius had renovated the battered book in her open satchel.

Seeing that she seemed to be a far better hostage.