Monsters.

"Did you hear about it?" Daphne asks Verena as they rush to their History Of Magic class.

"Hear about what?"

"Filch's cat died or something, there was something written in blood over the wall,"

"What was it?"

"The Chamber of Secrets has been opened,"

They sat at their desks placing their bags beside them and began to take out their writing.

Professor Binns had asked for a three-foot-long composition on,
'The Medieval Assembly of European Wizards.

Professor Binns unrolled his notes and commenced to read in a dreary, drone-like aged vacuum cleaner until almost everyone in the class was in a harsh end.

" This class just gives me the chance to catch up on my sleep," Daphne positioned her bag and placed her head on the bag.

Before Verena knew it, she was dead asleep.

Their professor had been droning on for half an hour when something occurred that had never happened before.

Hermione put up her hand.

Professor Binns, glancing up at the beginning of a fatal dull speech on the International Warlock Convention of 1289, stared astonished.

"Yes, Miss Granger,"

"Professor I was wondering if you could tell us about the chamber of secrets,"

Professor Binns was looking at her in such astonishment, the entire class was convinced no student had ever intruded on him before, alive or dead.

"My subject is History of Magic," he said in his wilted, wheezy voice. "I deal with facts, Miss Granger, not myths and legends."

"Please, sir, don't legends always have a basis?"

He cleared his throat with a minor noise like chalk snapping.

"Very well," he began, "as you all know that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand year's ago by the four extraordinary witches and wizards at that age,"

" Godric Gryffindor, Salazar Slytherin, Helga Hufflepuff and Rowena Ravenclaw."

"Now three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously, one did not,"

The whole class was now dangling on to Professor Binns' every word.

He looked dimly at them all, every face veered to his.

Verena could tell that he was wholly hurled by such a rare show of interest.

" Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts,"

"He concluded magical knowledge should be kept within all magic families,"

"In other words purebloods,"

"Unable to persuade the others he decided to leave the school,"

"Now according to legend, Slytherin had constructed a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the chamber of secrets,"

"Promptly before departing he shut it until that time his true heir returned to the school,"

"The heir independently would be able to open the chamber and unleash the horror within and by so doing purge the school of those who in Slytherin's view were unworthy to study magic,"

"Muggle-born," Granger muttered.

"Well, typically the school has been surveyed many times no such chamber has been found,"

"Professor, what specifically does legend tells lies within the chamber?"

"The chamber is said to be the home to that something that the only the heir of Slytherin can control,"

"It is said to be the home of a monster,"

Verena felt a few gazes avert to the Slytherin's section of the room.

When were Slytherins ever not the monsters?