Human Magic

"Okay, are we recording?"

"Um, I think so? I don't usually use... what are these things called again?"

"Well, on earth, they're called cellphones."

"Yeah, uhhhh.... I don't know if your cellphone is on."

Luz scrambled next to Amity, peeking over her shoulder.

"Yep! We're recording!"

Luz started to shuffle the deck of cards in her hand.

"¡Holá mamá! Today, you're gonna witness me teach Lilith, King, and Eda some human magic. And Amity is here, too! And here come the contestants!"

Lilith, King, and Eda awkwardly scramble into the room, sitting on the floor.

"Human, why did you call us here?" Lilith asked formally, a slight head tilt.

"Well, I got this idea after I scrounged up some human cards from Eda's trash collection."

"Do humans play Hex's Holdem?" Eda asked, a slight side smile on her face.

"Well, no. We have Texas Holdem. But, we also have lots of variants. Like Uno, Phase 10, Skip-po..."

"Okay. I'm already bored. What are we even doing?" King demanded, a lash of his tail smacking Lilith with it.

"Okay, okay! I'm teaching you three, some human magic!" Luz laughed, presenting the cards. "Pick a card, any card!"

"Humans know magic?"

"Ooookay?" Eda picks a card at random, looking at it unamused. King peeks over Eda's shoulder.

"Oh! A queen of hearts. Sure glad you told us what the cards meant, Luz!" King said.

"You aren't supposed to tell me what the card is, King."

"Why?" Eda asked, super confused.

"Because I'm not supposed to know."

"Well, how are you supposed to figure it out, then?"

"That's the trick! Here. Pick another card." Luz presented the cards once more.

"Okay." Eda grabs another card, looking up at Luz.

"Okay, good! Good. Now show King and Lilith."

Eda showed the card to the two of them, still confused as to this "magic".

"You know the card?" Luz asks, hoping they understand.

"Yes. It's a 6 of spades!"

Luz sighed and face palmed. "Eda! Don't tell me what the card is!"

"Why?"

"Because I'm supposed to guess! Just..." Luz used her free hand to rub her temples, and sighed. "Put that card back."

"I do not understand your human ways, or how you are supposed to guess, human."

Eda elbowed Lilith.

"Sorry. I meant Luz."

Eda puts the card back.

"Now pick a new card. Please. Just pick a new card."

Eda picks a new one, nodding a few times and humming.

"Good, good. Now do not tell me what the card is."

Eda nodded. "Okay."

"Good. Now show King and Lilith."

Eda shows the two, earning two nods.