Saturday Mornings

Hunter gently pulled his binder down over his chest, slightly turning in the mirror to look. A smile crossed his lips as he put on his usual attire. Today seemed like it could be an okay day. He opened the window and breathed in the fresh, crisp morning air.

Hunter plopped down on his bed and stretched, letting the morning sunshine glare in on his face. And for a moment, all he could feel was the warmth of the sun and a warm sense of euphoria in his heart. Lil' Rascal chirped happily in his cage, begging to be let out.

And yet Hunter only closed his eyes and smiled even wider; taking in the warmth of the sun on his skin, the chirps of Lil' Rascal being like music to his ears, and the smell of Luz cooking breakfast just downstairs.

He had to admit, life in the Owl House, was the best life he could have asked for. Sounds of children outside running the streets filled his hearing, which only made him even more happier.

And he lay there, stretched out on his bed, slightly covered up, and dressed in only pants and a baggy t-shirt. How good it felt to not have to wear that heavy armor - to not have to put on a persona every day - to not have to hide his best friend, Lil' Rascal.

And upon hearing his name, Hunter slowly opened his eyes, taking one more deep breath and holding it for a second longer. He smiled and sat up, opening Lil' Rascal's cage door.

Lil' Rascal chirped happily as he perched on Hunter's finger, nudging his face for affection.

"Aw, who's a good Palisman?" Hunter asked quietly, scratching Lil' Rascal atop his small head. Lil' Rascal chirped back in response, earning a giggle.

Hunter turned back to his window once more and smiled. Today was gonna be a good day. He could feel it.