Chapter 41- The Brightest Star

"You asshole."

His face was impassive against my abrupt and rather rude insult. He stared at me whle I stared back, tension immediately rearing its head.

"Why are you here?" I finally asked, my eyes narrowed. He stepped forward, and the Hokage shot him a wary glance.

"I need to speak with her." My eyes narrowed into slits, anger boiling in my skin. He wanted this after months of not talking to her, after months of leaving me to deal with her torturously silent grieving.

"Didn't you tell him?" I said, glancing at the Hokage before settling my gaze on that asshole again.

"She doesn't speak to anybody." My voice was hard and unforgiving. A silent moment, and then he nodded.

"Then she can just listen." Annoyance bubbled up in me.

"Why would you come now? After all this time?" I questioned. His jaw tightened slightly, but I saw it.

"Because I couldn't avoid it."

A disgusted smirk appeared on my face.

"Of course. How considerate." I turned from him, bowing to the Hokage. "I will escort him now, Lord Hokage. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to deal with him."

The Hokage gave me a warning look, and I nearly rolled my eyes.

"We'll be fine. It's not like I'm going to kill the guy." I reassured with a cheerful smile as I recalled all the hand signs for my Lightning Blade jutsu.

The Hokage sighed, nodded, and left in a whirl of wind.

"Ready?" I said, sobering up as I turned back to him. While he nodded, I noticed the sunken look to his face. He still looked as powerful and strong as when I first met him, but he seemed worn out. Exhausted. Like there was something weighing him down.

Like Saya.

Then I realized she might not be the only one grieving hard. My face softened, but only slightly as I gestured for him to follow me.

"Where's that boy?" He said, his green eyes looking straight ahead as we walked toward my apartment. I gave him a look. Was he seriously trying to make conversation?

"What boy?" I grunted as I picked up my pace, hoping he would shut up.

"The one who came with you to save her." I stopped. My lips tightened. That seemed like such a long time ago.

"Sasuke? He left the village soon after we got back."

I remembered the solemn look on his face when I had brought a trembling Saya back. The thing was, he had been deciding what to do for awhile. His answer came from Saya's misery. His eyes got darker, he got quieter, and I knew it was only time before he would leave.

I hadn't said anything, but I knew he would say goodbye to Saya. She had been sleeping deeply, and those were the moments I could watch her because she looked at ease. But only for the first few hours before she got into another nightmare. Then, I had to wake her up to get her to stop screaming.

I heard soft creaking, and I shot up, alert. When I saw a mop of dark hair, I covered my chakra as thoroughly as I could and hid myself, watching as Sasuke slipped in through a window., slowly pushing it open. I should really get a lock on that.

He was wearing his normal attire, only difference was he carried a bulging backpack with him. The moonlight left intentional white scars on the darkness of his hair and the shadows on his face. His eyes gleamed red in the darkness, and my body tensed. Why was he using his Sharingan?