Chapter 21- New Rivals and New Feelings

******Hey, guys! So this was supposed to be updated awhile ago, the thing is I had it all typed up and I accidentally deleted it! Yeah. I want to choke whoever invented putting "paste" and delete" right next to each other. I mean why?!? Anyway, enjoy!

**********************

"What is this?" Sasuke muttered as we all entered the hallway that would lead to the room we had to register in. That door happened to be all the way down the hall, and it was crowded with loud genin. There seemed to be a scene going on, the atmosphere tense. My eyes widened and then flattened.

Did they seriously think they could fool us with this petty, pathetic genjutsu they had cooked up to fool us? I was annoyed to find most hadn't noticed and neither had one of my teammates. Oh, Naruto. I wasn't entirely sure Sakura knew it since she still had that indecisive, depressed look on her face.

Sasuke was staring directly at the crowd in front of us. We walked towards it slowly, and voices became distinct and so did the scene.

Two boys were standing, guarding the door and their eyes were set like cold stone. They had a smirk plastered on their faces, and I noticed their eyes were laid on a brunette.

I watched as the brunette walked forward slowly, her eyes cautious. Her hair was twisted tightly into two strict buns, making her seem like the self-absorbed type, but she looked hurt.

"Please let me in," she said softly but firmly, her eyes set with determination. I admired it for a moment before one of the boys guarding the door knocked her back, sending her to the ground. She landed with a loud thump and a cry of pain. My eyes narrowed. I could see the gleam of intelligence in this girl's eye. Had she not noticed the genjutsu?

"Harsh....." One of the genin commented in the crowd, loud, heated whispers running through them.

One of the boys barked out a laugh, the one with the bandage on his nose.

"Harsh? This is nothing. Compared to the Chunin exams, you guys are screwed. You won't survive it, it will-"

While he droned on in his rather boring speech, I thought it out. These genin could only be the amateurs of the test for not noticing they were in a genjutsu. So why were we sent here? I know, I know Sasuke knows, I think Sakura knows, and I hope Naruto knows. So why would they waste their time putting us all in a genjutsu we didn't miss to see?

My eyes widened. Of course. How predictable.

This was only for those foolish enough to get caught in the illusion. This was a pre-test of some sort. I began to tug Sasuke away, hoping to get them out of here so we could go find the real registration room instead of sticking around and watching little girls get beat up.

But Sasuke wasn't next to me anymore.

I let my eye twitch as I heard him speak from where the boys guarding the door were.

"Yeah, now that you're done with the long lecture, do you mind shutting up? You're giving me a headache and this isn't even the right floor anyway." He pointed out. I wanted to punch him. He had now allowed more competition into this test by letting them know they wouldn't make it to registration since they were at the wrong door. Genius.

"Ah, we got a smart one, yeah?" One of the boys piped up, his eyes gleaming. Sasuke shrugged, nonchalant as always.

"But brains isn't everything!" My eyes widened as one of the boys let their leg shoot forward, the destination for Sasuke's side. Sasuke's eyes were wide, and he probably could've defended himself, but I was suddenly there.

My hand wrenched the foot that was about to cause damage to him away, gripping it tightly in my hand. I felt Sasuke's body heat radiate onto mine from behind. I could feel his curiosity at my actions. My eyes stayed on the floor, a raw anger festering inside of me. What was this?