Chapter 38- Deceive Me

Chapter 38

************************************

My fingertips twitched with surprise as I woke to a canvas of blue sky and the smell of forest.

Shifting my body slightly, I felt a roiling sensation of nausea bolt through my stomach, making me groan internally as I felt the earth beneath me, cool in the shade from the sun.

How long had I been out?

My eyelids fluttered open, my body heavy and lethargic as I pushed myself up off the ground. The power she had exercised on my body had left me weak, as if I had ran for miles and waking up was my break from running. I was impressed by her cleverness to prevent me from following her, impressed by her efforts to minimize the risk of me catching up.

A small smile tugged at my lips before I turned my head, emptying my stomach of whatever I had in it.

I groaned, my eyes sweeping across the clearing I had been left in, finding Sasuke not more than five feet away from me. I could hear him begin to wake up as I sat up, scooting back to lean against a tree, my head swaying. My hand snaked into the pouch strapped to my side, pulling out a wrapped package of food and a canteen of water. I ate while Sasuke awoke, his loud curse the first words I heard him utter.

He snapped his head towards me, eyes blazing red, and seeing my relaxed posture, he narrowed his eyes menacingly. I understood his anger because he didn't fully know everything yet. So I wasn't surprised when he leapt up, prowling over to me like a leopard.

"Why didn't you wake me up? We need to go after her!" I raised an eyebrow.

"You seemed a little upset when she left. I wasn't sure you still wanted to help. Water?"

His eyes flashed with rage.

"Don't patronize me. Wherever she is, she'll be hearing from me." He said darkly. I gave him a disapproving look.

"You can't hold this against her. She was thinking about our safety, even though she forcefully took away our choice to help-"

The way his face twisted made me pause.

"You know damn well that's not why I want to find her."

I stared at him.

Of course, he was right. I wasn't blind to the lurking anger in his eyes. He probably felt betrayed, hurt, resigned. A terrible tension arose between us, and, for a moment, I wished it didn't have to exist. I had let my self-control go wild, and it had led to this situation. We both shared affection for the same girl, and I had been all too aware of Sasuke's powerful anger radiating behind Saya and I when we.........well...

"Kami, Kakashi, are you seriously thinking about that right now?"