Chapter 36- Flicker

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

An oppressive darkness cloyed thickly in the room, suffocating the air. Black, smoky shadows snarled in the derelict corners of the walls that caged it, their ominous presence coiled tightly against them. Fine, wispy frost climbed up the dark walls, streaking it with cold shards that just mounted more to the sinking dread.

I saw her breathing with effort, her expression tight with pain as she favored her right side, her left abdomen soaked with something so dark red it looked like rotten plum. Her wrists were shackled with cuffs, heavy against her tan skin, and her bottom was sore from sitting so long on the hard, damp floor. But how I knew this was beyond me.

Despite the frost, the room was hot, almost caustic. It was swelling in her throat, her mouth dry as cotton. She shifted uneasily, aches traveling through her body. Sweat dripped on the floor along with her fear. My fear. I knew something was deeply, deeply wrong.

Our hearts stopped at the same time when he stepped in.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Clink.

"Molly."

He looked the same as when I first saw him. The same sharp features, the same chips of detached ice that now gazed down at my sensei. His mouth was set in a polite smile, his eyes revealing nothing.

Our anger spiked at the same time, sharp and reddening.

She glared at him, her brown eyes dark.

"I don't know why you even bothered. I won't tell you anything."She said, her voice on edge. His mouth slinked into what passed for his smile, and he processed this.

"I think you will." He said, staring and staring until even I, who didn't have such a gaze on me, was squirming with discomfort. The proud woman held his gaze, mouth hard. She tilted it into a cold smirk.

"I don't obey bastard prodigies. Only the ones born with the right." She stated.

His eyes hardened.

Making a small, pleasant sound, a deceivingly gentle smile slowly pulled at his mouth.

The shadows roared.

"If that's how you're going to be."

All he did was flick his fingers.

Then the room was changing and slanting and spinning. Everything screeched and gnashed and stop it, stop it, stop it-

We both screamed when the shadows from the walls raced toward us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Saya!"

I gasped, my nightmare ripping through me like shards of glass.

Strong, steady hands held me down, keeping my body from thrashing like it wanted to. A faint whimper escaped my mouth, my eyes flickering open, catching a dark-eyed gaze of worry.

"What's wrong?"

I said nothing, shivering and cold.

The dark eyes were on an ivory face that murmured soft words of assurance in my ear, making my protesting muscles loosen, releasing tension one inch at a time. I shuddered, gripping at the thin material of what I realized to be Kakashi's shirt, tugging it closer.

"Do you want some water?"

I didn't reply, gasping softly. Callused fingers brushed my hair away from my face, and Kakashi sighed as I flinched. I was on the edge, my nerves high-wired and alert, screaming at me to pay attention even when the dream was over.