Prologue

T H E I N T E R V I E W

Passion.

As an aspiring writer, passion was something I should have been filled with. I adored my hobby, but in recent years I just couldn't bring myself to pick up a pen. The world was full of muses yet I was so incredibly uninspired, I couldn't bear to look at any of my rough drafts.

Luckily, I didn't mind my consistent writer's block. I wanted to write about things that inspired me, it would have meant nothing if I was writing words with no real meaning. One clear way to suck the life out of something you loved was doing it just for the sake of pushing out content. I didn't want to be one of those mindless drones who hated something they once loved because they let it kill them.

Instead of writing, I spent most of my time on my studies. I graduated top of my class during my first four years as an English major. Once I finished with that endeavor, I spent the following two years at another prestigious school getting my associate's degree. I was a stellar student, you would have thought that with all the reading and writing I had to do for classes I would have been burning with ideas. That wasn't the case for me though. I was burnt out and spent most of my free time drunk and if I wasn't drunk I was tipsy.

My parents felt I wasted my potential not earning a more practical degree. They were proud of me, but they knew how a writer's world fluctuated so. They didn't want all my hard work to go to waste and I respected their opinions, but it was my life and I was going to do what I wanted with it.

But, to put their minds at ease and to get them off of my back, I took jobs I knew they would always approve of. They were bred for business and they were proud of it. Unfortunately for them, they had two kids that wanted nothing to do with it. My eldest brother bless his heart became a doctor but naturally, mommy and daddy dearest didn't quarrel about his career path. I on the other hand had a high-profile job, and by high-profile, I meant the assistant to high-profile multi-millionaire CEOs who needed serious reality checks.

Due to my upbringing, I loved expensive things and extravagant outings, so I didn't mind being arm candy to some forty-year-old tycoon. It gave my parents the comfort of me getting exposure to business and me the chance to wear beautiful gowns and drink expensive wine. Sadly, most of the men I worked for were disgusting pigs so I never stayed on one job for more than six months. Again, you would have thought by now I would have chosen a different gig but they paid so well and the benefits were too alluring to give up. Besides, I was a spoiled twenty-four-year-old I knew no other job would entice me the way these ones did.

That fact alone led me into yet another lobby, owned by a control freak with way too much money.

Fingers crossed I wouldn't be handing in my resignation letter six months after starting this job like all the rest of them.

I anxiously sat outside the cool-toned doors waiting to be called in to see my perspective boss. I wasn't nervous about the interview, I've been through enough to know what to expect. It was him that made me anxious.

I had a thing for men in positions of authority, men that could easily dominate me and set my skin on fire with just one look. That was only in the bedroom though, outside of it I hated being told what to do and I hated being looked down on. Many of the men I've worked for only saw me as a possible sex doll, forgetting I actually had a brain in that pretty little head of mine.

"Serenity Taylor? Mr. Harrington is ready for you."

I stood up and adjusted my skirt that had risen from me sitting down. Quickly, I scanned the outfit of the woman who was welcoming me into her boss's office. Her hair was tucked neatly into a bun, no visible flyaways in sight. Her skirt was significantly longer than mine and the buttons were done all the way to the top, not allowing a glimpse of her chest.