twenty-seven

S E R E N I T Y

"Are these jeans cute or are they too casual? Maybe I should go with pants and a blouse?" I spun in the mirror giving my outfit another once over. Vanessa sighed and continued typing on her phone, "hello? Earth to Ness? Do we like this or no?"

"I'm sorry Rin, it's this new client, she's so high maintenance." I tousled with my hair trying to decide if I wanted to wear it up or down. A slightly messy bun would have looked good, but a wash and go looked even better. "What new client? I thought Fab was in rehab?"

"He is. It's this woman, she's some celebrity socialite. She wants me to go over literally everywhere and everything she's either gone or done."

"That doesn't sound fun," I settled on the wash and go. My hair framed my face perfectly today and I couldn't let that go to waste. I turned to face a sullen Vanessa and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, "if anyone can get the job done it's you. I mean you're the second most high maintenance person I know, she can't be that bad."

"She makes you seem frugal Serenity."

Yikes.

Anyone who outshined my shopping habits and expensive taste was surely a force to be reckoned with. "What's her name? Maybe I've heard of her."

"Sunny Chamberlain. She's been in a few movies, now she's in a tv series."

I wasn't familiar with the name but maybe if I saw her face I would've recognized her. I pulled out my phone and searched up the mysterious woman but no bells rung. She was quite stunning though. Long brown hair that touched the middle of her back and deep blue eyes. Her jawline and cheekbones were out of this world, and she had the cutest little mole by her lip.

"She kind of looks like me." I turned the phone to Ness and she looked back and forth between me and the phone. "I kind of see it, maybe it's the mole."

"Or maybe we're just both very attractive women."

"Sure, Rin." She looked me up and down and nodded her head in approval, "the jeans are cute. Leave the hair down but change the blouse." She was now in my closet tossing various different tops onto my bed.

"This one. This is cute." It was a baby pink v-neck top with a lace finish. The only problem was it was silk—my hairstyle would not work with silk.

"You're such a brat, I'll straighten your hair but don't blame me when you're late to meet Alex."

We were going to Roasted and I was supposed to meet him at three. It was going on one and it would take Vanessa at least an hour and a half to finish my hair. She complained the whole time but she'd always loved it when I asked her to do my hair or my makeup or pick out an outfit. She was the type of friend that always wanted you to look your best, even if she had to do it for you.

"So, when Noah went to go pick up your car, did he meet Myles?"

I had almost forgotten about their late-night encounter. Myles was waiting outside when we arrived, he said he was worried about me after I left the party so early. Noah saw him and said something like, "that's him? The infamous Myles Cameron?" He was less than impressed by his appearance, even more so disappointed by his informal greeting.

Myles was never one for honorifics or upholding titles. He was lax with the way he wanted to run a business but that didn't mean he wasn't serious. When he realized the man dropping me off was not only my boss but Noah Harrington he straightened up and addressed him with a bit more formality.