nine.

SERENITY

Mr. Harrington's meeting would take place at eight A.M. sharp, in a board room on the second floor of the resort. The owner I now know to be named Mr. Archibald and his business partner would be the only two people present for the meeting besides Mr. Harrington and myself. I wasn't sure why my presence was needed considering how small the meeting was, but still, I bravely woke up at the crack of dawn to support my jackass of a boss.

I took a long and thought-provoking shower to prepare myself for the dullness that awaited me. Meetings were the worst part of my job description, they were tiring and unnecessarily long. I fought my way through sleep during most of them, earning some nasty glances from Mr. Harrington.

After my shower, I did the whole routine of moisturizing and pinning my hair back. It was all getting too predictable, I was beginning to loathe my morning routine. I didn't bring any Mr. Harrington approved work outfits so I made do with what I had, hoping he wouldn't make a fuss when he saw me. There was no time for breakfast so I grabbed my bag and hurried out the door, chewing on some gum to satiate my impending hunger.

Mr. Harrington was outside the board room door tapping on his phone when I arrived, he appeared calm and collected like he knew he had this meeting in the bag. "Good morning Mr. Harrington," I spoke, stopping directly in front of him. He peered up from his phone and examined my outfit, shaking his head.

"Good morning Ms. Taylor, thank you for being on time." I smiled but immediately wiped it away as he leaned forward, squinting his eyes at me. "Is there something on my face?" I began touching my cheeks feeling insecure. Noah rolled his eyes and tapped on his left nostril twice before speaking, "the nose ring, take it out it's unprofessional."

"It is not but we'll discuss that later. For now, I'll listen." I quickly removed the stud and placed it in a pocket of my purse before peaking into the board room. The two strangers inside were certified businessmen, laughing over a coffee while scanning some blueprints. I was ready to walk inside when I caught a glimpse of one of their faces and froze, there was absolutely no way this was happening.

"Uh, Mr. Harrington?"

"What is it, Ms. Taylor?"

"You know that man I was dancing with last night?"

He looked around the hallway, confused as to why I'd even ask. "No, why would I know that? And why is this important right now?"

"Long story short I kind of told him off last night and he's in the boardroom, like right now."

Noah took a few steps forward and glanced into the window, "which one is he?"

"The one in the blue suit."

"Serenity?"

It was more of a command than a question and judging by his tone he wasn't thrilled with me which could have meant one thing. "Yes?" I questioned hesitantly. I prayed he wouldn't say what I thought he was going to say.

"That's Mr. Archibald, the owner of this resort."

"Oops?"

It was a bad response but I was truly at a loss for words. What were the odds that the man I briefly danced with in the bar would be the owner of this resort? Mr. Harrington pinched the bridge of his nose which told me he was thinking hard, probably about how I made his life a living hell. I wouldn't be surprised if he was regretting ever agreeing to a friendship with me last night.