twenty-six

S E R E N I T Y

                                             ♥

After spending another night in the hospital, Andrew convinced his doctors he was healthy enough to recover at home. He was to call the doctor at the first sign of any complication and I promised to check in on him when I got the chance. Of course, Andrew adored the pestering. His exact words were, "I always wanted to have a sexy nurse."

He never wondered why he was single but if he did that would definitely be the reason.

"I also have a present for you," I smiled and dangled a bag in front of him. His interest was piqued.

"A striptease?"

"You wish, here."

Disappointed, he took the bag and pulled out a stack of papers. "Don't tell me that asshole told you to bring me my work?"

"Noah thought since you have so much downtime, you can catch up on all the work you've been slacking on."

He threw his head back and groaned, "Rin, come on! Stay and help me!"

"Oou, I would but I have a party to get to. Happy recovery my love."

"You are uninvited to my Halloween party this weekend!"

"Too late, I already invited Vanessa!"

"Rin—"

"Bye!"

I jogged to my car, lifting my pants legs to stop them from getting dirty. I was wearing a white cashmere two-piece with a cardigan to match. Not the best choice for hanging out in a garden but fashion over comfort right? It wasn't my fault really. Garden parties were made for the spring when it was warm and colorful and butterfly wings painted flowers. Not when it was chilly and dark and the only bugs around were those God-forsaken flies.

Honestly, who really hosts a garden party in the Fall? Short answer, Serena Cameron hosts a garden party in the Fall.

After about thirty minutes of driving, I pulled into a gated community I knew all too well. "As I live and breathe," the guard smiled and squinted her eyes. I knew that face all too well too. "Serenity? Is that you?"

"How are you, Norma?" I could never forget her voice. It was the same voice that yelled at Myles and me to get back to the house when we thought we were being sneaky.

"I'm good, your boy is having quite the welcome back party. There have been about twenty cars passing through here in the last hour."

"No party Myles is interested in, it was good to see you, Norma."

She pushed the buzzer and the gate slowly opened, "drink responsibly. I'm sure you're well past legal now."

Very funny.

The Cameron's mansion was the first house on the street and quite arguably the biggest. Serena was the only woman that could compete with my mother when it came to being over the top. I guess that's why they got along so well, spoiled and entitled little girls grew up to be spoiled and entitled women.

Vanessa's ears had to be ringing right now.

In the backyard, there were crowds of people but Myles was nowhere in sight. If he was anything like the Myles I knew in high school, he hated parties that didn't involve booze or boobs. Unfortunately, all they had to offer was booze and stock values.

"Champagne Miss?"

"What brand?" I asked sniffing the glass. The woman searched the sky for an answer, biting her lip anxiously. "I'm sorry, I'm not sure? I can ask if you'd like."